Defense grabs the upper hand in Tuesday’s practice (with videos)

With just one week remaining in its spring practice schedule, time is of the essence for the Washington football team. The Huskies kicked off their final week of practice with a high-energy session Tuesday morning, complete with full pads, tackling, and even a bit of scoring.

It was a sloppy day for the UW offense, which mostly struggled to get going. There were some notable mistakes, including a few false start penalties and some throws that could have been intercepted hitting the turf harmlessly. By the end of the session, which lasted a little more than two hours, the defense had forced two turnovers, one short of its goal of three per practice.

The offensive highlight came when quarterback Jeff Lindquist fit a ball in between two defenders and into the hands of tight end Darrell Daniels, who ran the rest of the way for a 74-yard touchdown.

It was another impressive play for Daniels, a converted wide receiver who was switched to tight end toward the end of last season. The rising sophomore said Tuesday that the transition has gone pretty smoothly for him.

“I feel like it’s a better fit for me, and I’m going to try to excel at the position,” Daniels said. “It’s good competition within the room, and we learn from each other, and feed off each other, and bring energy to practice and just compete.”

Head coach Chris Petersen spent Tuesday’s practice working with the quarterbacks in the absence of quarterbacks coach Jonathan Smith, who is in Boise with his wife, who is expecting a child in the near future. In addition to being impressed with Lindquist’s throw, Petersen was also pleasantly surprised by Daniels’ catch.

“Quarterbacks need guys to make plays,” Petersen said. “[Daniels] is a young player, he’s got tremendous explosiveness, and if he catches the ball remotely anywhere like that we’ve got something going.”

However, overall, there were more positives for the defense Tuesday than the offense. Troy Williams was intercepted over the middle by linebacker John Timu, running back Ralph Kinne lost a fumble, and the quarterbacks were sacked at least twice and forced to escape the pocket numerous other times throughout the session.

Lindquist said that there was a bit of a different feeling with Petersen coaching the quarterbacks today, but that it didn’t matter too much.

“Certainly it’s different because Troy and I have been used to Coach Smith every day, so it was a different feel,” Lindquist said. “Coach Smith is more calm-mannered when he’s coaching, and Coach Pete brings the energy, so both of them work and each guy kind of has his own style in it.”

Notes

-The injury news was not great for the Huskies on Tuesday, as linebacker Shaq Thompson left the field early on with what appeared to be a right arm or shoulder injury. He continued to participate in position drills, but he did not see any more action in full-team periods.

-Remaining on the sidelines with injuries were running backs Jesse Callier and Dwayne Washington, along with offensive linemen Dexter Charles and Micah Hatchie and defensive lineman Jarett Finau.

-Wearing yellow limited contact jerseys Tuesday were defensive backs Kevin King and Brandon Beaver, as well as linebacker Cory Littleton.

-Petersen again addressed the status of suspended quarterback Cyler Miles and wide receiver Damore’ea Stringfellow after practice, stating once more that both will remain suspended until further notice. Petersen said that the fact that Miles was not charged with a crime relating to the post-Super Bowl incident in February does not change anything.

-All that remains in the Huskies’ spring is practice Thursday night and Saturday’s spring preview. Saturday’s festivities will begin with a “Fan Fest” event on the east practice field at 10 a.m. before leading into practice at 1 p.m. in Husky Stadium, which will be broadcast live on KJR Radio and the Pac-12 Networks.

Videos

Tight end Darrell Daniels:

Quarterback Jeff Lindquist:

Wide receiver Jaydon Mickens:

Head coach Chris Petersen:

Reach Sports Editor Daniel Rubens at sports@dailyuw.com. Twitter: @drubens12