Huskies clinch sixth straight series with 7-2 win over Stanford

Bishop

Bishop -

Centerfielder Braden Bishop robs a home run from Stanford's Alex Blandino in the third inning of Washington's 7-2 win against Stanford. 

Photo by Joshua Bessex

The No. 9 Washington baseball team (24-6-1, 12-2) bested Stanford (11-16, 3-8) 7-2 in game two of three on Montlake on Saturday night, clinching its sixth straight series.

The Huskies’ bats came alive early and kept the pressure against Stanford’s pitchers all game while a few key defensive plays kept the game just out of the Cardinal's reach.

“We practice every day on making the routine [defensive plays] because everyone can make a play out of their butt sometimes,” fifth-year senior Brian Wolfe said. “You just lay out and sometimes it just goes your way. If we don’t make the everyday plays, we’re not in a position to pitch to contact and get a ground ball.”

Centerfielder Braden Bishop robbed his second home run of the year with a leaping catch in the third inning, preventing an extra run in what would have been third baseman Alex Blandino’s fifth home run of the season.

“Those are big plays that get lost in the shuffle because we scored some runs and made some pitches,” head coach Lindsay Meggs said. “[Bishop’s catch was] an extraordinary play by a very good athlete. You can’t count on that, but it gives you a jolt of adrenaline when it happens.”

The very next inning, second baseman Andrew Ely laid out for a beautiful diving catch to save a would-be hit through the right side by shortop Drew Jackson. Ely’s play prevented what would have been a two-RBI single.

The Huskies’ offense came on early, scoring two runs in the first inning and another two in the second.

Stanford fired back, scoring one run in the third and again in the fourth, but the Huskies defense and pitching proved to be too much for the Cardinal to handle.

The Huskies added an insurance run in the fifth and two more in the seventh, giving starter Tyler Davis all the run support he needed, and then some.

Davis earned his seventh win of the season, lasting 5.2 innings while allowing two runs on seven hits. Davis’ two walks in the game marked his highest number of free passes allowed in a game this season.

Four starters for the Huskies had multiple hits. Left fielder Robert Pehl went 3-for-4 and scored two runs, and Wolfe went 3-for-3 with two RBIs and a run scored.

The series finale is set for 4 p.m. on Sunday at the Husky Ballpark.

Reach reporter Nick Bragg at sports@dailyuw.com. Twitter: @SeattleBragg