Big fifth gives Huskies blowout win over Stanford

Kaitlin Inglesby

Kaitlin Inglesby -

Senior Kaitlin Inglesby was magnificent Thursday, striking out seven in a four-hit shutout against Stanford.

Photo by Andrew Tat

Whenever times have gotten tough during the past four years, head coach Heather Tarr has known in which direction to turn.

On Thursday night, Tarr’s senior star, Kaitlin Inglesby, put the Huskies on her back once again.

Inglesby shut down Stanford on Thursday night in Palo Alto, throwing a four-hit shutout as the No. 10 Huskies cruised to a 7-0 win over the Cardinal. Victoria Hayward added three hits for the second-straight game as the UW snapped a four-game Pac-12 losing streak.

At the plate, Inglesby went 1-for-3 with two walks. Her RBI single in the top of the first scored Hayward and gave the UW an early lead.

For the first four innings, the game was a pitcher’s duel between Inglesby and Stanford freshman Madi Schreyer. But the Huskies got to Schreyer in a big way in the top of the fifth, scoring five runs to bust the game open.

Schreyer had only herself to blame for the game getting away from the Cardinal. A throwing error by the pitcher on what would have been the third out of the fifth inning allowed two more runs to score. After another unearned run came across, what could have been a 3-0 UW lead had ballooned to an insurmountable 6-0 advantage.

The Huskies used some small ball to push across a run in the top of the first. Hayward led off with an infield single, then moved to third base via a passed ball and a sacrifice bunt. Inglesby’s RBI single gave herself an early cushion.

The senior slugger also sparked the UW’s big fifth inning. She drew a leadoff walk, and the player who pinch-ran for Inglesby, Marki Creger-Zier, promptly scored on a double by Kylee Lahners. 

Two more walks loaded the bases, and a wild pitch made the score 3-0. Schreyer struck out pinch-hitter Kimberlee Myers to get the second out, but the Stanford pitcher committed her fateful error the very next at-bat, on a comebacker off the bat of Kelli Suguro. 

While the UW hopes this marks the end of a stretch the team would rather forget, Lahners hopes the same can be said for her own struggles. Headlined by her RBI double, the junior went 2-for-5 after entering the game with one hit in her previous 15 at-bats.

Game two of the series between the Huskies (23-10, 3-6 Pac-12) and Cardinal (24-15, 1-9) is scheduled for 7 p.m. on Friday.

Reach reporter Kevin Dowd at sports@dailyuw.com. Twitter: @KevinDowd