Huskies return to practice field after spring break

Jeff Lindquist

Jeff Lindquist -

Sophomore quarterback Jeff Lindquist has split reps with freshman Troy Williams this spring while they await a final decision on Cyler Miles.

Photo by Andrew Tat

The Washington football team kicked the post-spring break portion of its spring practice schedule into gear Tuesday.

There weren’t exactly a ton of takeaways from the second “first day” of spring ball, with the Huskies only practicing in helmets Tuesday. UW head coach Chris Petersen did say that his team is “working hard, but we have a lot of details to clean up.”

While the Huskies showed some energy and other positives on Tuesday, there is still much to improve on before spring practices end on April 19.

“We’ve got a long way to go on both spectrums,” Petersen said. “We’ve got a lot of learning still to do, and we haven’t put in half of our stuff yet. Obviously the execution leaves much to be desired at this point.”

While Petersen is still not satisfied with where his team is at execution-wise, he said that he is happy with the effort his squad is putting in.

“I’m pleased with their attitude,” Petersen said. “They want to get it, we’re all working this together, but are we pleased where we are? No, because we have a long way to go.”

Linebacker John Timu returned to practice Tuesday after missing the first two weeks of spring ball due to a suspension. But while one familiar face returned, others were missing, including Hau’oli Kikaha, Marcus Peters, Ben Riva, and Danny Shelton, who all had class during the morning practice. Petersen has moved Thursday practices to 7:15 p.m. to allow those players who can’t participate in early morning sessions to be able to get on the field.

There were also a few new faces on the field who pulled on the purple for the first time. These included freshman defensive tackle Jaimie Bryant, who joined the team after grayshirting in 2013 and enrolling in spring classes, walk-on kicker Mitch Johnson, a transfer from UCLA, and walk-on cornerback Aaron Chapman.

When asked for an update on suspended quarterback Cyler Miles, Petersen stayed silent, saying only, “I got nothing.” This comes a day after Miles’ attorney, Mike Hunsinger, told the Associated Press that Miles would not be charged in connection with an alleged assault after the Seahawks’ Super Bowl victory in February. There was also no update on wide receiver Damore’ea Stringfellow, who also remains suspended in connection with the same incident.

As they have all spring, Jeff Lindquist and Troy Williams split first team reps behind center on Tuesday, with Lindquist taking the first snaps of the 11-on-11 portion of the practice. Both quarterbacks had their ups-and-downs, with each making some good throws and each missing some easy ones. Lindquist said that he has plenty to work on for the remainder of spring and into summer.

“I think it’s just tuning up throws here and there,” Lindquist said. “There’s a couple that get away from me occasionally, so kind of eliminating those little mistakes to make my game more consistent. Occasionally I’ll try to rush throws, for whatever reason, so I want to eliminate those.”

One standout from Tuesday’s practice was safety Brandon Beaver, who impressed by picking off a Williams deep ball intended for Kendyl Taylor. A few minutes later, Beaver stripped Williams of the football at the end of a long scramble.

Wearing yellow non-contact jerseys Tuesday were defensive end Cory Littleton, cornerback Kevin King, and offensive lineman Micah Hatchie. Littleton and King participated in some position drills, but Hatchie and fellow offensive lineman Dexter Charles worked out on the sidelines as they heal from injuries.

The comedic highlight of practice came when the offense and defense split up and participated in a high-jump drill at midfield. Shane Brostek beat Taniela Tupou in the big-guy battle to give the offense the lead, which John Ross extended with an athletic leap over roughly six feet of stacked pads. But the defense won the day when linebackers coach Bob Gregory cleared a small hurdle that offensive line coach Chris Strausser failed to get over.

Reach Sports Editor Daniel Rubens at sports@dailyuw.com. Twitter: @drubens12