Seniors lead final charge for Huskies, rally falls short to Stanford

Simsby

Simsby -

Senior Trevor Simsby led a final-round rally for the Huskies by shooting a 7-under 64 on Wednesday. The Huskies trailed Stanford by 14 strokes after the second round and came back to within two strokes to take second place. 

Photo by Anastasia Stepankowsky

The Washington men’s golf team finished second, two shots behind Stanford at The Prestige at PGA West on Wednesday.

Seniors Trevor Simsby and captain Gerrit Chambers shot the two lowest third-round scores of the field, helping the Huskies earn the lowest team round for the second day in a row.

Ultimately, the 14-point gap between Stanford and the UW leading into the final round was too great.

“We were fighting back,” assistant coach Dan Potter said. “It felt like we could have come back [if there were] a few more holes.”

After two mediocre rounds, Simsby dominated the course Wednesday, shooting the lowest round of the tournament with a 7-under 64. He had five birdies and one bogey on the front nine and sunk three more birdies on the back nine of the third round.

Simsby’s huge third round vaulted him from 24th to a tie for fourth place overall with a final score of 6-under 207.

“[Simsby] was pretty flawless,” Potter said. “He was overdue for a good low round.”

Chambers finished third overall, only two strokes behind the tournament leader, Stanford’s Patrick Rodgers. Chambers shot a superb 5-under 66 third round, bringing his final score to 7-under 206.

“He did everything well,” Potter said. “He was solid from tee to green.”

Sophomore Chris Babcock and freshman Corey Pereira both scored 1-under 70 in the third round, but took very different paths to get there.

Babcock played a solid, but uneventful third round, starting the day with a birdie on the first hole followed by 11 par holes. He bogeyed on the 13th, then birdied again on the 16th, finishing the tournament in a tie for 12th place with a 2-under 211.

“[Babcock] was really steady,” Potter said. “I never had to worry about him.”

Pereira, on the other hand, was all over the place in the final round, shooting four bogeys and two birdies on the front nine. The freshman calmed down and drained three birdies on the back nine.

Pereira tied for seventh place with a final score of 4-under 209.

The lone Husky to finish outside of the top-12 was junior Cheng-Tsung Pan who had another poor round, finding the bunkers and water traps on more than one occasion. Pan shot a 3-over 74 in the third round, bringing his final score to 6-over 219, placing him in a tie for 48th place.

Potter was a bit surprised, but not concerned with Pan’s performance this week.

“He hit a lot of good shots, his bad ones ended up in the wrong places,” Potter said.

The Huskies will have plenty of time to prepare for their next tournament, the Bandon Dunes Championship on March 9-11.

Reach reporter Nick Bragg at sports@dailyuw.com. Twitter: @SeattleBragg