Huskies end tournament with disappointing tie

Huskies end tournament with disappointing tie -

Junior Trevor Mitsui batted .412 in the UW’s first tournament of the season. The Huskies ended the four-game tournament with a 2-1-1 record.

Photo by Joshua Bessex

A six-run comeback by the Washington baseball team was cut off when Sunday’s game was ended because both teams needed to catch their return flights, resulting in a 7-7 tie with Michigan.

Despite the tie, the Huskies return to the Pacific Northwest with the best record at the Texas State tournament, finishing with a 2-1-1 mark.

Head coach Lindsay Meggs was not pleased with the tie, but was impressed with the team’s ability to stay in the game when it was down by six early.

“I really like the way we fought our way back,” Meggs said. “The team showed some great character.”

UW’s starter freshman Henry Baker was lit up early, giving up three runs in the first inning, and two more in the second. Baker was yanked from the game after only recording four outs.

Freshman Alex Hardy entered in relief, closing out the rest of the second inning without allowing any more damage.

Michigan tagged on another run in the third, and was up 6-0 leading into the fourth inning.

The UW finally got on the board in the fourth inning, with an RBI double by sophomore Branden Berry followed by another RBI double by junior Trevor Mitsui.

Michigan fired back for one run in the bottom of the fourth, but it would be its last, as the relief trio of sophomore Alex Nesbitt, sophomore Troy Rallings, and senior Trevor Dunlap shut out the next four innings.

The Huskies answered with four runs in the fifth inning, starting with an RBI double to left field by junior Erik Forgione. Michigan starter Evan Hill got the next Husky to ground out to second, but loaded the bases with two walks before being pulled from the game.

Berry knocked in a run with a single down the right field line, then Mitsui singled to drive in another two runs, bringing the score to 7-6 by the end of the fifth.

The Huskies added one more run with a sacrifice RBI by Braden Bishop, scoring sophomore Austin Rei and knotting the score at 7-7, where it would remain for the final two innings.

Junior Andrew Ely batted .429 and slugged .714, Mitsui batted .412 and drove in six runs, and junior Alex Schmidt slugged .688 with two home runs and six RBIs in the tournament.

The UW will return to action for the Big Ten vs. Pac-12 Tournament in Surprise, Ariz. on Feb. 21-24, where the Huskies will take on Indiana, Nebraska, Michigan State, and Oregon State.

Reach reporter Nick Bragg at sports@dailyuw.com. Twitter: @SeattleBragg