Two UW football players suspended indefinitely

Two UW football players have been suspended indefinitely for a violation of team rules. This is on the heels of a Seattle Police Department (SPD) investigation of two assaults near campus on Sunday night.

The suspensions of quarterback Cyler Miles and wide receiver Damore’ea Stringfellow on Thursday mark the first disciplinary action taken by head coach Chris Petersen since arriving at the UW in December.

According to the SPD’s report for one of the incidents, in which all names are redacted, a man and woman were walking eastbound near the 2300 block of Northeast 55th Street at approximately 8:30 p.m. on Sunday, when a white mid-’90s sedan pulled up behind them. 

The two suspects got out of the vehicle and approached the couple, asking them if they were Seahawks fans. When they said they were, the suspects stopped the pair from leaving, and a fight ensued in which the man was hit multiple times in the face.

When the victim told a friend about the incident, the friend responded by saying the description of the two suspects sounded like the suspects in an assault near the couch burnings at the intersection at Northeast 47th Street and 19th Avenue Northeast that night. When the friend pulled up pictures of those suspects from the UW football roster, the victim confirmed they were the suspects that assaulted him as well.

When contacted by police, the friend said he saw the two football players in a scuffle at the couch burning and saw a female fall to the ground, followed by someone yelling, “Yo String, let’s go!”

The UW Athletic Department has not said whether the suspensions are related to the SPD investigation, and the SPD has not confirmed the names of the players being investigated.

Stringfellow, a freshman, played in 12 of the Huskies’ 13 games in 2013, and started the final three, while Miles, a redshirt freshman, was expected to take over for Keith Price as quarterback in 2014.

Reach News Editor Joe Veyera at news@dailyuw.com. Twitter: @JosephVeyera