UW's 36-game winning streak over Cougars snapped

140107_KH_WBB_WEB.jpg

140107_KH_WBB_WEB.jpg -

Aminah Williams (left), pictured in a game against Portland, and the Huskies lost their first game to Washington State in almost 19 years Tuesday. 

Photo by Kyu Han

It took a wild game to end Washington’s remarkable winning streak against its rival.

For the first time since 1995, Washington State beat the UW women’s basketball team. Junior guard Jazmine Davis led a furious UW comeback by scoring 20 second-half points, but the Cougars held on to win 82-80 Tuesday night in Pullman, Wash.

Freshman guard Kelsey Plum pulled the Huskies to within two points on a driving layup with 42 seconds on the clock. But she committed a foul with 22 seconds left, which bailed the Cougars out, turned the shot clock off, and forced the UW (8-6, 1-2 Pac-12) to put the Cougars on the line with another foul.

WSU’s Lia Galdeira swished a pair of free throws with 15 seconds left to give the Cougars an 82-78 advantage. A UW basket and a missed WSU free throw later, UW forward Chantel Osahor heaved a three-quarter court shot as time expired, but the ball missed off the backboard.

It was WSU’s first win over the Huskies in 37 rivalry matchups.

Playing in their first road game since Dec. 7, the Huskies trailed by as many as 13 in the first half and faced a 10-point deficit at the break. The UW was just 1-of-7 from 3-point range in the first half.

The Huskies trailed 50-39 when WSU leading scorer Tia Presley was called for her fourth foul. After Presley went to the bench, the UW went on a 9-1 run to cut its deficit to three.

Osahor then hit the UW’s third consecutive 3-pointer to tie the game at 51 just five minutes into the second half. The Huskies took the lead and kept it until the 11-minute mark in the second half, when the Cougars took command behind Galdeira.

Galdeira and Davis each averaged more than 18 points per game before Tuesday’s game. The two went toe-to-toe and were each the aggressor for their respective teams, but Galdeira’s 28 points barely edged Davis’ 27.

The UW improved from 3-point range in the second half, sinking nine of its 15 attempts from beyond the arc after the break. Davis was 5-of-10 on 3-pointers for the game.

In their first conference road game, Osahor and fellow freshman Katie Collier played huge roles in the UW frontcourt. Collier scored 12 points in the first half, and Osahor nailed a pair of 3-pointers during the UW’s second-half comeback.

Plum shot inefficiently in her first Pac-12 game on the road, finishing just 3-of-11 from the field.

In a scary moment, Collier went down with nine minutes remaining in the second half. Collier’s head collided with an opposing player’s knee, but she walked off on her own power with a smile on her face after laying motionless on the ground for about five minutes.

The Huskies will immediately have a chance to start a new streak when they face Washington State at Hec Edmundson Pavilion on Saturday at 3 p.m.

Reach reporter Justin Lester at sports@dailyuw.com. Twitter: @JustinDLester