Sankey, Seferian-Jenkins receive All-American honors, recruits come in for UW

Sankey, Seferian-Jenkins earn All-American honors

Running back Bishop Sankey was named a second-team All-American by AP and Sports Illustrated while Austin Seferian-Jenkins was on AP’s third team and an honorable mention for SI.

Sankey was a finalist for the Doak Walker Award, along with Boston College’s Andre Williams and Arizona’s Ka’Deem Carey, who were both named first-team All-Americans. Williams won the Doak Walker Award, which is given to the nation’s premier running back, after leading the nation in rushing yards this season.

Seferian-Jenkins won the John Mackey Award, given to the nation’s top tight end, last week. He caught a team-high seven touchdowns this year and had 33 receptions for 413 yards.

Both Sankey and Seferian-Jenkins are juniors who are eligible to declare for the NFL draft this offseason. Both have submitted paperwork to be evaluated by the NFL, which is a common practice, but neither has announced a decision on his immediate future at the UW yet.

“I’m just trying to take the process as slow as possible,” Sankey said last week.

Recruiting carousel continues to turn

New head coach Chris Petersen is staying out of the UW’s preparations for the bowl game (mostly) as he attends to other pressing matters. While he watched at least part of Monday’s practice from the sidelines, players and assistant coaches say he is mostly busy with bringing in the next crop of Huskies, which got a little bigger Tuesday.

JoJo McIntosh, a defensive back from Chaminade College Prep in West Hills, Calif., announced his commitment to the UW through his Twitter account Tuesday. Originally a UCLA commit, McIntosh received an offer from the Huskies late in the process, which prompted him to open up his recruitment before he settled on the UW.

McIntosh is one of three known Petersen recruits at the UW, including Darren Gardenhire, another three-star defensive back from Southern California, who committed Monday morning. Gardenhire was previously a Washington State commit, making a verbal commitment soon after the UW’s win over the Cougars in the Apple Cup last month, before switching to the UW to become Petersen’s first UW recruit. The other recruit of the Petersen era at this point is Jalen Greene, a dual-threat quarterback from Southern California. He was offered by Boise State under Petersen, but after the head coach moved to the UW, so did Greene.

Petersen still has a lot to do in the recruiting front as the Huskies only have eight recruits for the 2014 class, the fewest of any team from a major BCS conference. After former head coach Steve Sarkisian left, four commits jumped ship from the UW. National Signing Day for the class of 2014 is on Feb. 5, so the UW coaching staff has exactly 50 days from now to gear up for next season.

Interim head coach Marques Tuiasosopo talks to the media about the UW's preparations for BYU after practice Tuesday. It was a longer practice than the team's previous four practices under Tuiasosopo, but the coach said it was typical for the UW's normal schedule. He said the Huskies are treating this week like a game week in preparation for the matchup with BYU on Dec. 27 as the UW will depart for San Francisco this weekend. 

Reach Sports Editor Thuc Nhi Nguyen at sports@dailyuw.com. Twitter: @thucnhi21