Huskies get No. 2 overall seed in NCAA tournament

Men's soccer No. 2 overall seed

Men's soccer No. 2 overall seed -

Freshman Mason Robertson scored three straight game-winning goals to help the Huskies seal home-field advantage in the NCAA tournament and the No. 2 overall seed.

Photo by Andrew Tat

It didn’t take more than 60 seconds of Monday’s NCAA selection show to disappoint the Washington men’s soccer team.

UCLA, which finished two points behind the Huskies in the final Pac-12 standings, was the first team to have its name called, earning the No. 1 overall seed for the NCAA tournament.

The Huskies thought they might get the top spot when they watched the video of Mason Robertson’s game-winning goal against California right before the bracket was revealed. Instead, the UW was the final team announced during the show and was given the No. 2 overall seed.

The Bruins, No. 4-seeded Cal, and Stanford received at-large bids to accompany the Pac-12 champion Huskies in the postseason. The UW, Cal, and UCLA all have home-field advantage until the Final Four in Philadelphia, which shows the strength of the conference.

“When the one, two, and four teams are Pac-12 teams, you know you’ve already come through the hardest part of the country,” UW head coach Jamie Clark told his team after the show.

Clark reminded his players to not overlook any team in the tournament. Last year, No. 1 seed Notre Dame lost in the round of 16.

“If we’re going to win it all, we’ll probably have to go to penalties once or twice,” he said.

Clark’s father, Bobby, coaches the Fighting Irish. They are this year’s No. 3 seed, meaning the semifinal could feature a father-son matchup.

The UW hosts the winner of Thursday’s match between Creighton and visiting Seattle University on Sunday at 5 p.m. If Creighton wins, it will play a second-round game against the Huskies for the second straight year. Creighton eliminated the UW with a 4-2 victory last season in Omaha, Neb.

Reach reporter Justin Lester at sports@dailyuw.com. Twitter: @JustinDLester