Huskies put Stanford in rearview mirror, look forward to Oregon

Price stanford

Price stanford -

Quarterback Keith Price’s toughness earned him raves from his head coach. Price hurt his right thumb on his throwing hand during the game, but had one of his best games this season. 

Photo by Joshua Bessex

For the first time this season, Steve Sarkisian had to answer questions about his team adding a game to the loss column. Less than 48 hours after the Washington football team (4-1, 1-1 Pac-12) lost to Stanford in Palo Alto, Calif., Sarkisian stressed the importance of moving on and getting ready for the next team. That team would be No. 2 Oregon.

The Ducks have had the UW’s number in the past decade, with the UW’s last win in the series way back in 2003. Since then, Oregon has won every game by more than 17 points, demolishing the UW with an up-tempo offense which pretty much smoked the Huskies out of the stadium. The offense hasn’t slowed down much this season, despite the departure of former head coach Chip Kelly, scoring 59.2 points per game and reeling off 77.2 plays per game.

“They go fast, they execute really well,” Sarkisian said at his Monday press conference. “They have premier speed on the perimeter, whether it’s at running back or wide receiver. And obviously Marcus [Mariota] is playing at such a high level at quarterback, whether it’s throwing it or running it. They look like a dynamic football team that can hurt you in all three phases.”

Upon further review

After looking at the tape from Saturday’s game, Sarkisian came away with feelings that were similar to those he felt after the game. He still questioned whether the tape provided enough evidence to overturn Kevin Smith’s catch on the last offensive play for the Huskies, and he was on the fence about several of the personal foul penalties called on the UW, including a hands to the face penalty on Hau’oli Kikaha in the first quarter.

Following the loss to Stanford, Sarkisian said he thought some of the Cardinal players were faking injuries to slow the UW’s up-tempo attack. When asked about it again Monday, he said simply, “We saw what we saw and I’ll leave it at that.”

However, he continued to reiterate the importance of moving forward.

“We turn the page,” Sarkisian said. “We learn from our mistakes. We try to build from our positives, and we move on, this week more than others. It’s such a drastic change in philosophy when you go from a Stanford to an Oregon. We don’t have much time to dwell on the Stanford ball game. We’re going to learn from it, but we have to get ready for a completely different style in Oregon this week.”

Price on the mend

Quarterback Keith Price injured his thumb against Stanford, but Sarkisian said he was practicing Monday and will be fine for Saturday’s game. While Sarkisian and the coaching staff were prepared to put in backup Cyler Miles against Stanford, Price assured them he was fine. The fifth-year senior finished 33-of-48 passes for 350 yards, two touchdowns and one interception, and showed shades of the 2011 signal-caller from the Alamo Bowl. Despite impressing in both the Alamo Bowl and in Saturday’s game, Sarkisian saw a different quality from his senior quarterback this past weekend.

“The toughness he exuded Saturday was, I think, the biggest difference between the two games,” Sarkisian said. “I think he was the focal point in both games, but in the game Saturday, some of the shots he took, for him to continue to get back up and to throw the football, to make critical throws on third down, especially in the second half, I thought was tremendous.”

GameDay sets up shop in Red Square

ESPN announced Monday morning that it would set up its “College GameDay” broadcast station from Red Square near Suzzallo Library on Saturday at 6 a.m. The pregame show will air live from 6 a.m. to 9 a.m. PST, with some of the segments being filmed Friday night.

Reach Sports Editor Thuc Nhi Nguyen at sports@dailyuw.com. Twitter: @thucnhi21