By the numbers countdown to kickoff: 7

7 days: 7 wins in each of the past three seasons

The first game of the football season is just around the corner, and to celebrate, we're diving into the record books. Count down the final 10 days before the Washington football team takes on Boise State on Aug. 31 as we get ready for the season with the help of some key statistics.

10 years since the Huskies have returned a punt for a touchdown

9 field goals made by Travis Coons last season

8: Austin Seferian-Jenkins ranked eighth in the Pac-12 in receiving yards per game and receptions per game last year

7 wins each of the past three seasons

In each of the past three seasons, head coach Steve Sarkisian has led Washington to a 7-6 record. Solid, yet unspectacular, won't fly for the UW anymore, as the program and the fans look for a marked improvement in Sarkisian’s fifth season. It finally appears the Huskies have the talent to break over the seven-win hump as they have a veteran team with stars on both sides of the ball. But will they able to? The answer to likely lies in whether quarterback Keith Price will play like the 2011 Price (33 touchdowns and 11 interceptions) or the 2012 version (19 and 13). Price and his offense will use a new, no-huddle style that may remind fans of their rivals to the south, but with a deep of group of wide receivers, offensive coordinator Eric Keisau calls the new scheme "a perfect fit" for the Huskies. The rest of the offense seems to agree.

"We have a lot of athletes, not only Kasen [Williams], Austin [Seferian-Jenkins], and Keith, but we have a lot of other guys that are eager to make plays and step up for us this season," running back Bishop Sankey said. "I’m excited to see the opportunities that this offense will bring to these guys."

That high-powered offense will combine with a defense that returns eight starters and should be better during defensive coordinator Justin Wilcox’s second season on Montlake. If their special teams can improve with the rest of the team, there is no reason why the Huskies shouldn’t win more than seven games. The schedule does not do the Huskies any favors, with four tough conference road games and home games against Oregon and Boise State, but the UW is talented enough to overcome its schedule and win nine or 10 games.

Reach reporter Daniel Rubens at sports@dailyuw.com. Twitter: @drubens12