By the numbers countdown to kickoff: 9

9 days: 9 field goals made by Travis Coons last season

The first game of the football season is just around the corner, and to celebrate, we're diving into the record books. Count down the final 10 days before the Washington football team takes on Boise State on Aug. 31 as we get ready for the season with the help of some key statistics.

10 years since the Huskies have returned a punt for a touchdown

9 field goals made by Travis Coons last season

In his first season on campus, Coons, a junior college transfer from Mt. San Antonio College, hit nine of his 14 attempts, for a 64 percent conversion rate. Coons was inconsistent all season, missing five of 12 attempts between 30-49 yards, and he never had an attempt of more than 47 yards. He had costly misses against Washington State and Boise State when made field goals may have secured victories for the UW. This season, head coach Steve Sarkisian brought in heralded kicking recruit Cameron Van Winkle to compete with Coons for the starting job. Van Winkle graduated from Mount Si High School early to enroll at the UW in time for spring quarter, however, an uneven start from the freshman and improved accuracy from Coons has put the incumbent in the lead for the place kicking position. If spring and fall practices are to be believed, then Coons’ accuracy has improved and he could become an asset rather than a detriment this season. But if he is as inconsistent as he was last year, Coons may have Huskies longing for the days of Erik Folk.

Reach reporter Daniel Rubens at sports@dailyuw.com. Twitter: @drubens12