By the numbers countdown to kickoff: 10

10 days: 10 years since the Huskies have returned a punt for a touchdown

The first game of the football season is just around the corner, and to celebrate, we're diving into the record books. Count down the final 10 days before the Washington football team takes on Boise State on Aug. 31 as we get ready for the season with the help of some key statistics.

10 years since the Huskies have returned a punt for a touchdown

Charles Frederick was the last Husky to return a punt for a touchdown when he did so against Oregon State in 2003.Head coach Steve Sarkisian hopes that changes this season. Much has been said about the no-huddle offense the Huskies are running this season, but Sarkisian is also pressing for a more dangerous return game this year. There are plenty of options when it comes to picking a kick returner including freshman John Ross and sophomore Marvin Hall, who both impressed during the UW’s first scrimmage this fall. Ross drew comparisons to Reggie Bush from Sarkisian after the 5-foot-11 wide receiver returned a Korey Durkee punt for about 50 yards during the scrimmage and shook several defenders right out of their cleats in the process with what Sarkisian described as a “full-speed, violent cut.” On the other hand, Hall returned a kickoff for a 93-yard touchdown during the scrimmage. Junior Kasen Williams, sophomore Jaydon Mickens, and senior Kevin Smith have also taken some reps returning kicks. Sarkisian still hopes to see some improvement in the return game, but he’s encouraged by what he’s seen thus far, especially when it comes to his potential returners.

“We're close,” Sarkisian said Tuesday. “There are some details that we need to iron out from a blocking standpoint but we're close and we're close because of the guys we have back there. If you can block the majority of the people, they can make a guy, two or three miss and then they can go.”

Reach Sports Editor Thuc Nhi Nguyen at sports@dailyuw.com. Twitter: @thucnhi21