Football practice report: Huskies wrap up training camp

As the sun set over west end zone of the newly renovated Husky Stadium, the Washington football team wrapped up their official two-week fall training camp. Friday night’s practice was about half the length as typical practices have been for the Huskies so far in camp, so not as much to report from a scrimmage standpoint. The Huskies, dressed in helmets and shells, had one scrimmage period when the No. 1 offense went against the No. 2 defense and the No. 2 offense went against the No. 1 defense. The big highlight of the night was a razzle-dazzle trick play from the No. 1 offense that had quarterback Keith Price pitch the ball to running back Bishop Sankey, who then handed it off to wide receiver Kevin Smith, who launched it down field for about 50 yards into double coverage to Kasen Williams, who elevated and pulled it in for a completion.

“Kevin, he always thinks he’s a quarterback,” Price said. “We get into so many arguments out here and he was able to show me up today. … [The throw] was pretty good. I would say that Kasen kind of made the play for him, but it was a gutsy throw into double coverage and Kasen went up and made the grab.”

Notes:

— One day removed from surgery on his right pinkie finger, tight end Austin Seferian-Jenkins returned to the field, dressed in shells, with a cast on his hand for practice. He participated in walk-through drills and helped coach some of the younger tight ends through blocking drills, but did not participate in the scrimmage period. Sarkisian is still unsure of when his Sports Illustrated Preseason All-American will return, but Price was a little more confident: “He’ll be back. He’ll be back. He just told me today, ‘Hey man, I could play today if I wanted to.’ But I told him, ‘Man, there’s no need to do that.’ But he’s awesome. I know he’s an extremely hard-worker and I know he’ll be back with us.”

— The Huskies kept their final practice of training camp light-hearted as they started off the night with a home run derby. Running backs and linebackers (I think) tried to hit a tennis ball from around the 30 to 40 yard line into the stands. While some (many) players struck out or fouled their pitches off, it was the offense that got the victory and the defense had to pay with 10 up-downs.

— Cornerback Marcus Peters intercepted Cyler Miles on Miles’ first pass in 11-on-11 drills and has been making a steady return since banging knees with DiAndre Campbell last week.

— Without Seferian-Jenkins on the field, tight ends Michael Hartvigston and Joshua Perkins have been stepping up in practice. Friday night, Price hit Hartvigston with a perfect pass toward the sideline for about 35 yards. Price immediately followed that pass up by getting intercepted by Brandon Beaver.

Reach Sports Editor Thuc Nhi Nguyen at sports@dailyuw.com. Twitter: @thucnhi21