Four Huskies fined by NBA for participating in Alumni Game

While the UW’s Alumni Game on June 23 was a hit with players, coaches, and fans, the NBA did not approve.

Y! Sports reported Tuesday night that the NBA has fined four former UW basketball players $15,000 each for participating in an event unsanctioned by the NBA.

Isaiah Thomas of the Sacramento Kings, Spencer Hawes of the Phildelphia 76ers, and Quincy Pondexter and Tony Wroten Jr. of the Memphis Grizzlies were all fined by the league. Terrence Ross, a guard for the Toronto Raptors was reportedly not fined. Neither was free agent Nate Robinson, who spent all of this past season with the Chicago Bulls.

According to the NBA’s collective bargaining agreement, players cannot participate in public offseason games prior to July 1 or after Sept. 15 without league approval. Prior to the game, Romar said he “hadn’t heard anything” from the league about participation restrictions for players who are currently in the NBA.

The Alumni Game, the first of its kind for the UW men’s basketball program, played out in front of a sold-out crowd at Alaska Airlines Arena. Many of the players expressed desire to make the Alumni Game an annual event, but Romar was undecided on whether the event would return in the near future.