More than 3,500 attend sixth annual car show

Red Square Car Show

Red Square Car Show -

A Ford Hotrod and a pink Mustang are parked side by side at the Red Square Car Show Saturday afternoon.

Photo by Dario Nanbu

Car Show

Car Show

A combination of 88 different luxury cars, various food vendors, and a sunny day that reached a high of 78 degrees brought more than 3,500 people to Red Square for the sixth annual Red Square Car Show Saturday afternoon.

“The turnout was great,” said UW sophomore and event volunteer Jacob Williams. “We’ve been lucky with the weather the past couple of years. It’s been a fantastic day.”

The show was hosted by Cats Exotics, a car dealership that specializes in high-end exotic vehicles, along with NorthWest Auto Salon and UW’s Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity to benefit the Progressive Animal Welfare Society (PAWS), a Lynnwood-based organization that works to improve the well-being of both wild and domestic animals.

“Me and Ben Abrahams [of NorthWest Auto Salon] are big PAWS Supporters,” said Jonathan Cats, UW alumnus and general manager of Cats Exotics. “It’s a great cause for a great organization.”

Whether it was from unintentionally walking past Red Square or for the love of cars, everyone had their own reasons to attend. 

“The [bystanders from] Windermere Cup definitely helped with attendance,” said Wesley VanDevanter, UW junior and philanthropy chair of the Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity. 

UW senior and member of the Delta Zeta sorority Katrina Tolentino attended to support her friends in the fraternity.

“I know a lot of Sig Eps, and they are really passionate about their philanthropy events,” Tolentino said. “It was cool seeing a lot of people and looking at different cars.”

UW senior Kelsea Longanacre attended partly because of the knowledge of and passion for race cars that she inherited from her father. 

“My dad races, so I grew up going to car shows and races since I was 3,” Longanacre said. “But this is much better than the ones I grew up going to, where it was at a small town and the cars were older.”

Among the much-newer models were the 2013 Audi RS5, the 2012 Lamborghini Gallardo STS, and the 2009 Mercedes SLR McLaren. The car that was eventually voted “People’s Choice” was a white 2013 Porsche that was custom-designed by Blake Siebe of NorthWest Auto Salon.

“It went down to the wire for Blake to finish building it,” Cats said. “It took him until 9 a.m. on the day of the show.”

After the biggest turnout in the event’s six-year history, VanDevanter said he was very excited for next year, as he hopes to have the car show expanded. 

“Weather always plays into the event, but we would broadcast [information] to car owners earlier,” VanDevanter said. “We hope to expand to Drumheller Fountain next year and plan a day when the fountain will be functional so it promotes more scenic pictures and allows more cars.”

Reach reporter KJ Hiramoto at news@dailyuw.com. Twitter: @HiramotoJr