UW remains undefeated in sweep over Stanford

Not even a little adversity could slow down the No. 1 Washington men’s rowing team. 

The Huskies continued their perfect spring by sweeping No. 6 Stanford on Saturday morning on the Cardinal’s home course at Redwood Shores. The UW won all four races and has not had a single boat lose in all three regattas this season. 

Head coach Michael Callahan had some concern about fatigue as the UW had a second consecutive road competition on a weekend it usually takes off. The Huskies still came out with plenty of energy, as they were able to get out to fast starts in each race and never trailed at any point. 

Near-perfect conditions led to some quick times all morning long. The varsity eight got the festivities started, beating Stanford by nearly 10 seconds and completing the course in a time of 5:33.9. The time was almost a half-minute faster than their performance last weekend at Oregon State.  

The varsity boat represented a combination of youth and experience that Callahan has been trying out. It was coxed by senior Seamus Labrum and stroked by sophomore Alexander Perkins. A focus on base speed the last two weeks in practice paid off, as the Huskies remained steady through the middle section of the course and maintained a commanding lead over the Cardinal. 

The UW’s second varsity eight, who dominated Stanford’s second varsity by nearly 30 seconds with a time of 5:46.7, were up next. Although it actually rowed a faster time than the varsity last weekend, the second varsity boat continued to improve its time. 

Also improving is the freshman eight, who had another impressive row with a time of 5:44.1. New freshman coach Rick Gherst is progressing the group well in his first year after taking over for Lucas McGee, now with USRowing. 

The varsity four capped off the perfect morning, earning a victory with a time of 6:45.1. The Cardinal finished second in just over seven minutes. 

The Huskies will finally return home for a battle with archrival California next Saturday at 10 a.m. The No. 2 Golden Bears also competed at Redwood Shores on Saturday morning, winning three races against Wisconsin, including the varsity eight with a time of 5:40.9. 

Reach reporter Nathaniel Reeves at sports@dailyuw.com. Twitter: @njr3701