Two from UW selected for Nursing Hall of Fame

A pair of professors in the UW School of Nursing are among 13 nationwide and 19 around the world chosen for induction into the International Nurse Researcher Hall of Fame.

Dr. Margaret Heitkemper, a professor and chair of the School of Nursing, and Dr. Nancy Fugate Woods, a professor in the Biobehavioral Nursing and Health Systems department and dean emeritus of the School of Nursing were selected last month for the distinction.

Created in 2010 by Sigma Theta Tau International (STTI), the honor society of nursing, the Hall of Fame recognizes nurse researchers whose research has improved the profession and the people it serves, and have achieved significant and sustained national or international recognition.

“This year’s International Nurse Researcher Hall of Fame inductees come from six countries and 11 U.S. states,” said STTI President Suzanne Prevost in a release. “Their research projects will be shared through the Virginia Henderson International Nursing Library online so that nurses everywhere can benefit from their discoveries and insights into patient outcomes, health care policies, and much more.”

For Woods, the honor was not only recognition of her individual work, but also the work she’s done with others over the last 35-40 years. 

“It’s a privilege to go work every day and work with my colleagues, and I think this is a wonderful way of recognizing what can happen when you put together some incredibly smart people that are willing to work across disciplines, willing to work within disciplines, and can come together and each contribute what they can do best,” Woods said. 

Prior to Woods and Heitkemper, the most recent UW faculty members inducted into the Hall of Fame were Dr. Pamela Mitchell, the interim dean of the School of Nursing, and Dr. Kathryn Barnard, an emeritus professor in Family and Child Nursing, who were inducted as part of the inaugural class in 2010.

For Mitchell, who has been at the UW since 1969, when she was an acting part-time assistant professor, the induction was a great honor.

“It was just an awesome experience with a number of people from around the nation who have been people I’ve looked up to for years, and it was wonderful to be a part of that,” Mitchell said.

Mitchell said the School of Nursing is extremely proud of the two new UW inductees.

“They’re well deserved honors,” Mitchell said. “I think we’re known for our research about ongoing issues in human health throughout the world, and Dr. Heitkemper and Dr. Woods are known internationally for their work in the larger field of women’s health.”

Heitkemper, Woods, and the 17 other new inductees will be honored at STTI’s International Nursing Research Congress in Prague, Czech Republic this July.

Reach News Editor Joe Veyera at news@dailyuw.com.Twitter: @JosephVeyera