Next year’s U-Pass Fee to remain $76 per quarter

The Universal U-PASS Fee will remain $76 per quarter for the 2013-14 academic year, the same rate it’s been since first imposed two years ago, according to an announcement Tuesday from UW Transportation Services.

The Universal Student U-Pass Advisory Board, which formally oversees the U-PASS fee, received a recommendation Jan. 22 from Transportation Services to continue current rates for the next academic year.

No further action from the advisory board is necessary to implement the fee, since rates will remain constant, said Miles Fernandez, chair for the advisory board.

The first Universal U-PASS Fee was adopted in 2011 as part of a two-year agreement with Transportation Services, and was up for review last week.

The news is a relief to those who speculated costs might increase next year, since tuition rates and other student fees have spiked in recent years, while local metro transit has seen funding cuts.

"I figured it would be unavoidable to have the U-PASS fee rise. I was very surprised but also very pleased and relieved for students," said Aaron Lykken, senator of the Graduate and Professional Student Senate. "Keeping the fee the same is a stunning accomplishment during a time of increases to student fees, reduced funding for programs and funding pains for transit agencies."

Reach News Editor Kirsten Johnson at news@dailyuw.com. Twitter: @kirstenj16