Willis Wilson, Joshua Perkins dismissed from UW football team

Running back Willis Wilson and tight end Joshua Perkins have been dismissed from the Washington football team for a violation of team rules, head coach Steve Sarkisian announced Thursday morning.

Wilson, a redshirt sophomore, was listed fourth on the team's depth chart. Perkins, a redshirt freshman, had converted to the tight end position after playing wide receiver as a true freshman.

Wilson's departure further lessens the Huskies' depth at running back after sophomore Deontae Cooper suffered a torn ACL about a week ago, his third in the past three seasons.

In a release, the UW stated neither the school nor Sarkisian would have any further comment on the dismissals.

*Update: Both Wilson and Perkins rejoined the team Friday, as Sarkisian announced a further investigation into the events which led to the initial dismissals resulted in the players' reinstatements.

"We gathered some more information on the situation and it felt like the right thing to do,'' Sarkisian told reporters Friday night. "We met with some of the leaders on the team, felt like the right thing to do. Their punishment will be handled in-house, and I think that they are thankful for the opportunity to get back, and I think that their teammates happy to have them back.''

Reach Sports Editor Kevin Dowd at sports@dailyuw.com. Twitter: @KevinDowd