Out and about

Friday, May 4

Grave Babies, Posse, Haunted Horses, Wimps

Local band Grave Babies has a lovingly fuzzed-up take on goth rock that must be seen to be appreciated. The rest of the bill is equally strong, including Wimps, featuring an ex-member of the late, great Butts. This is also Grave Babies’ album-release party.

$6, 21+

9:30 p.m.

The Funhouse

206 5th Ave N.

Weed, Pleasure Beauties, Half Gift

Weed, from Vancouver, British Columbia, is a band fully capable of conjuring dark, evil grunge sludge without killing the energy of a room. Half Gift, a local group, with members from the now-defunct Wet Paint DMM and Eel Eater, is even better than its credentials suggest.

$5

8 p.m.

The Cairo

507 E. Mercer

Saturday, May 5

‘Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb’

Director Stanley Kubrick’s classic story of nuclear apocalypse and human nature is triply blessed, with Peter Sellers playing three roles and nailing them all. Unlike most Cold War–era productions, “Dr. Strangelove” isn’t afflicted with age or irrelevance and should be a stunner on the big screen.

$8.25

12 a.m., also runs Friday

The Egyptian

805 East Pine St.

Sunday, May 6

Pacific Northwest Mushroom Tasting

An event featuring free, delicious mushrooms and recipes and information about them, courtesy of PCC Markets and their cooking instructor, Becky Selengut, is part of “Mushroom Maynia,” a program at the Burke.

Free

10 a.m. to 4 p.m.

The Burke Museum

Maria Larionoff and Robin McCabe

Musical wizards Larionoff (Seattle Symphony’s concertmaster) and UW professor McCabe, on violin and piano, respectively, will perform various classical pieces, including a fabulous Ravel piece.

$15

2 p.m.

Brechemin Auditorium, UW School of Music

Friday, Saturday, and Sunday

STIFF: The Seattle True Independent Film Festival

STIFF is a manic exhibition of contemporary low-budget films. Showing more than 100 films in eight days beginning this Friday, the festival promises to have something for everyone. The event will take place at various locations all weekend and through Saturday, May 12.

$8 per show, $50 for 10-day pass

Visit trueindependent.org for show times, tickets and locations.

Reach reporter Ian Cameron at arts@dailyuw.com. Twitter: @BatteryJokes