UW track teams pick up split against WSU

In their final meet before the postseason, the Washington track and field teams pulled into Pullman, Wash., hoping to avenge their previous road losses to the Cougars.

On Saturday, the UW women’s squad realized that desire, while the men fell to Washington State for the third consecutive time on the Palouse.

Riding the momentum of wins in the 800-meters, 1,500-meters, 3,000-meters, and 4x400-meter relay Saturday, the women’s squad downed WSU, 89-74.

The UW men, meanwhile, were neck-and-neck with the Cougars until the hometown squad pulled away late in the day to win, 87-76.

Heading into the postseason portion of their schedule, Washington head coach Greg Metcalf is pleased with the efforts of both the men and the women’s squads.

“Both of our teams competed incredibly well,” Metcalf told Gohuskies.com. “The men’s meet was kind of up for grabs, and we got very close at the end. Our women did a great job today.”

Jordan Carlson and Shaniae Lakes led the UW women, setting dual meet records in the 400-meter dash and triple jump, respectively.

Carlson’s time of 53.15 seconds not only registered the new top mark in the history of the Washington/Washington State dual meet, but also lowered her own school record for the third consecutive race.

Lakes, meanwhile, set a personal record in the triple jump with a leap of 41-4½, tying Brittiny Roberts for second all-time among UW women.

On the men’s side, a pair of UW runners — Joey Bywater and Maurice McNeal — returned from injury to win their respective events.

After being sidelined by a bothersome hip, Bywater bounced back to win the 1,500-meters in his first event of the outdoor track season. The junior from Lake Stevens, Wash., held off a late effort from Washington State’s Todd Wakefield to win in a time of 3:47.81.

After undergoing surgery a few weeks ago, McNeal came out ready to roll in just his second competition since the outdoor season started in late March. McNeal followed Carlson’s record-setting performance with a win of his own in the 400-meters, clocking a time of 47.15.

While Metcalf liked what he saw from both squads, he wasn’t satisfied.

“I would love to get on a bus and go back to Seattle having won twice, but [for] our women to get a victory was big, and I think our men competed well,” Metcalf told Gohuskies.com. “Now, we got to go get healthier and get ready for Eugene.”

The Huskies will travel to Eugene, Ore., for the two-day Pac-12 Multi-Events meet Friday and Saturday for one last tune-up before the Pac-12 championships, also in Eugene, the following weekend.

Reach reporter Ryan Hueter at sports@dailyuw.com. Twitter: @ryanhueter