When it comes to sports’ greatest month, there’s only one answer

I have heard all of the arguments.

October has the MLB playoffs, the NFL, college football, and the beginning of hockey and basketball. June has NBA and the Stanley Cup Finals, plus the NBA Draft and baseball hitting its peak. January has bowl games, the NHL and NBA in midseason, and the NFL playoffs. But, after careful consideration, I’ve decided none of these can even approach the title of “Greatest Sports Month.”

The winner, hands down, is April.

What does being the greatest sports month entail, you ask? Well, it’s simple: the greatest sports month is the one when everything is going right for sports fans. Which is why April is the definite choice.

It begins with the first few days of the month, when March Madness finishes. And while it is called “March” Madness for a reason, the champion is not decided until the calendar page flips. Thus, April usually gets the three most important college basketball games of the year (and no, I am not referring to the CBI, NIT, and NCAA Championships).

Within the next week or so, the MLB season kicks off. Opening Day is — and will probably always be ­— my favorite day of the year (way better than my birthday, Thanksgiving, New Year’s, or any of the eight days of Hanukkah). Just seeing players back out on those green fields is enough to bring a smile to any baseball fan’s face.

Then, you get the NHL’s Stanley Cup Playoffs. So you are aware, the NHL is a league that plays a game called ice hockey that most folks in these parts are not exactly used to seeing on a daily basis. But the Stanley Cup Playoffs are really something to see. Fighting, scoring, hitting, tension, overtimes and anything else that sports fans love are always happening right in front of your eyes.

But that’s not all. Next comes one of America’s true National Pastimes: rooting against LeBron James in the NBA playoffs. While there is no longer a team in the 206 (RIP Sonics, but hopefully not for too much longer), most everybody loves gathering to watch LeBron choke.

Finally, we have the NFL draft, a time when we can all gather together and debate for hours on end whether Andrew Luck or Robert Griffin III has better touch on throws between 10 and 15 yards downfield when being zone blitzed. Or, much more likely, talk about one of the greatest heads of hair of all time: the one that belongs to Mel Kiper, Jr.

The final reason why April is the greatest sports month, however, is the fact that we can finally, actually go play sports. In the interest of full disclosure, you should know that as I write this, there are no clouds in the sky, it is fairly warm out, and I have an IMA softball game in an hour and a half. There is no better time than April to not only talk about and watch professionals, but also to get out and play catch in the sun.

So there you have it. There is no doubt that April is the best month for sports. Now, stop reading this, go outside, and go enjoy the weather (unless it’s raining again … dang Seattle weather).

Reach sports columnist Daniel Rubens at sports@dailyuw.com. Twitter: @drubens12