Fifth-place finish readies Huskies for conference championships

If yesterday’s final round of the Oregon/UC Davis Invitational is any indication, the Pac-12 championships are shaping up to be exciting.

Of the 15 teams at the tournament, nine were Pac-12 members, and seven finished in the top 10.

And after an up-and-down first day, the UW women’s golf team notched a top-five finish at the Half Moon Bay Course in San Francisco.

The Huskies shot a 2-under 286 on the final day of the tournament, finishing a collective 7-over to place fifth, just two strokes back of fourth-place Arizona.

Head coach Mary Lou Mulflur was pleased with how her team performed.

“We got off to a hot start but cooled off a little at the end,” Mulflur said. “I think our worst score of the week was 77. It helps when that happens.”

Jennifer Yang led the Huskies on the final day, shooting a 3-under 69 to finish at 3-over and in a tie for 22nd.

Yang was highly recruited coming out of Gleneagle Secondary School in Coquiltam, B.C., Canada. Of late, however, she hasn’t really shown why she was such a hot commodity as a recruit.

Before her 3-under Tuesday, Yang had shot 3-over or worse in eight of her last 11 rounds, and shot worse than 6-over three of those times.

The 3-under 69 Yang carded Tuesday is the type of round Mulflur expects to see.

“That’s normal,” Mulflur said. “That’s the person we recruited. She’s a talented player who took a little bit to get going. She played much more like we expected her to. I’m not surprised.”

Sadena Parks joined Yang under par Tuesday after shooting a 2-under 70, dropping her overall total to 2-over as well. Parks tied for 17th with teammate SooBin Kim, who shot an even par in her final round.

Mulflur was happy with how Parks played, calling her performance “pretty solid.”

Kim, on the other hand, had to scrape for her 72. After starting par, bogey, bogey, birdie, bogey, Kim found herself 2-over and reeling just five holes in. But the freshman found her stroke, and completed the rest of her round at 2-under to finish at even par.

“SooBin did not play well this week, and she still shot 2-over. That’s really nice to have,” Mulflur said.

Mulflur was also happy to have Cyd Okino back in the lineup and producing. Okino was in contention midway through the first round of the tournament, but couldn’t stay under par and finished with scores of even par, 1-over, and 3-over, placing her in a tie for 28th.

Kelli Bowers rounded out UW’s scorecard with a team-high 5-over 77, placing her in a tie for 45th.

UCLA ran away with the team title, shooting a collective 2-under 286 Tuesday and 15-under 849 overall. UCLA’s Erynne Lee took medalist honors with a 1-under 71 Tuesday and 9-under 207 overall.

The Huskies next event is the Pac-12 championships in Pullman, Wash., played April 27-29.

Reach reporter Sam Barbee at sports@dailyuw.com. Twitter: @Sambarbee1