Out and about

Thursday, Dec. 8

EXPO 89 Fest

EXPO 89 is a four-day festival that promotes the west coast underground arts scene. With a focus primarily in music, the festival will present audiences with a multitude of genres, from futuristic hip-hop to mellowed-out folk music. The festival also includes book readings and short films.

6 p.m.

Free on Thursday ($8 Friday, Saturday, and Sunday)

All ages

The Cairo

507 E. Mercer

Eric Liu and Nick Hanauer

The co-authors of the book “Gardens of Democracy” explain what they believe should represent democracy. They claim that, instead of using a machine as a metaphor for understanding markets and government, one should view democracy according to tendencies of nature and connected ecosystems.

7:30 p.m.

$5

Town Hall

1119 Eighth Ave.

Friday, Dec. 9

Baths

Baths, the moniker of electronic musician Will Wiesenfeld, is an emerging young artist in the electronic music scene. His live shows, including one at this year’s Capitol Hill Block Party, have been highly touted, as Wiesenfeld’s one-man show on stage never lets down. Artists Teen Daze and Witch Gardens open.

Doors 8 p.m.

Show 9 p.m.

$13 in advance

The Neptune

1303 NE 45th St.

Saturday, Dec. 10

Norm MacDonald

Norm MacDonald was a cast member on Saturday Night Live for five seasons (from 1993 to 1998) and continually shows up as a guest on many talk shows and sitcoms. His unforgettable voice and unique material should make for a hilarious show.

Doors 7 p.m.

Show 8 p.m.

$35

The Neptune

1303 NE 45th St.

‘It’s A Wonderful Life’

Just in time for the holiday season, this American classic starring James Stewart tells the tale of a businessman who is on the verge of suicide until his guardian angel shows him all the lives he has touched in the past.

3:30 p.m. & 6:30 p.m.

Student price $6, regular price $8

Grand Illusion Cinema

1403 NE 50th St.

Sunday, Dec. 11

‘The Love We Make’

Director Albert Maysles’ documentary follows musician and ex-Beatle Paul McCartney through the morning of 9/11, when he was on a plane about to depart New York that was grounded due to the attacks. The film also shows what ensued in the weeks after the attack as McCartney attempted to bring some light to the city by setting up an all-star benefit concert with other artists and entertainers.

Doors 6 p.m.

Show 7 p.m.

$12 advance

$16 day of show

$10 students and seniors

$8 members

The Neptune

1303 NE 45th St.

Reach reporter Michael Lantz at weekender@dailyuw.com.