Proceeds from Movie filming used for Student scholarships

The University of Washington was paid at least $20,000 in compensation for its upcoming role in the comedy film “21 and Over.”

The money paid to the school will go to UW’s external affairs department and put toward student scholarships. Exactly how much money the UW made during the filming process is still undetermined.

The crew actively shot the film on campus for 22 days in or near many recognizable locations, such as Greek row, Rainier Vista, and Husky Stadium.

Filming at the university costs $800 for a session of up to six hours for commercial or documentary films, while filming up to 12 hours costs $1,400.

The film is written and directed by the creators of “The Hangover” films, Scott Moore and Jon Lucas.

The process to get filming rights on campus for a big-budget movie includes working with a governmental office that organizes all commercial movie production in the state, and the setting of a schedule.

“The lead first came from a call with the Washington State Film Office [WSFO] with a protocol to film on our campus,” said Harry Hayward, director of electronic media and special programs at UW. “They then gave me a mandatory standard location agreement and fee schedule. We then worked on locations and times, and proceeded from there.”

Along with those basic fees, there is also a location fee, which is based on the number of hours a crew is working on campus; a rental fee; and a parking fee, which comes out to $11 per vehicle.

There is also a certificate of liability insurance check, which the producer of the film makes out to the Board of Regents. Due to all the varying fees, Hayward could not say how much the university has made; the total numbers are not yet available.

UWPD was also heavily involved during filming, said UWPD Cmdr. Steve Rittereiser. All officers involved were paid overtime by the production company and worked outside their usual shifts.

“The movie production crew got us the info about any needs of blocked streets and other areas around campus that they needed help moving,” he said. “It was a success.”

As for the city of Seattle’s involvement, Hayward said the WSFO and Seattle Film Bureau were both very active in the project because scenes were not shot strictly at the UW.

In the past, very few wide-release films have been made in Seattle, like “Ten Things I Hate About You,” and “Dan in Real Life.”

Hayward said he thought the cast and crew left a good impression on campus, and that it wouldn’t be out of the question for another crew to film at the UW.

“I’ve talked to a lot of people who work in the buildings and facilities they used to shoot,” he said, “and they all tell me everything went over quite smoothly.”

Reach reporter Michael Lantz at news@dailyuw.com.