Crime blotter: stolen check, assault and office theft

This crime blotter aims to keep readers up to date on crimes that affect the UW community, such as the assault of a UW Medical Center visitor and a burglary in Magnuson Hall.

Friday, June 17

UWPD officers responded to a report of fraud after a UW employee was contacted by a Bank of America representative to verify a check from her account being cashed, which she said she did not authorize. The check had been cashed June 10 in West Seattle and deposited into another Bank of America account. The money was withdrawn from the account in which it was deposited before the bank was able to freeze the account. The Bank of America Fraud Unit began an internal investigation and asked the woman to file a report with the Federal Trade Commission. She will not be liable for the loss, and her account was closed.

Sunday, June 19

UWPD officers responded to a report of fourth-degree assault at approximately 3:05 p.m. at the UW Medical Center frontage road. A woman was visiting a patient at the hospital when she was approached by the female assaulter, who then insulted her and hit her in the face with a car door. The assaulter fled by car and hasn’t been located by police. The woman who was attacked declined medical attention.

Thursday, June 23

UWPD officers responded to a report of burglary after a woman claimed items were missing from her office. She told the officers her wallet and cellphone were taken from her private office in the Magnuson Health Sciences Building. She said she left her office for approximately two minutes at about 1:30 p.m. and returned to find her cellphone missing from her desktop where she left it. She also found that her wallet was missing from her purse, which was in a file cabinet behind her desk. She said she closed the door to her office but had not locked it. The police have no suspects.

Reach reporter Hayat Norimine at news@dailyuw.com.