ASUW Judicial Committee to review election complaints today

Despite complaints of sign tampering and question planting at forums, only three official claims were filed to the ASUW Judicial Committee alleging campaign violations during the elections, two of which will be reviewed today.

The first, filed on April 1 by One Campus Campaign Manager Quinn Majeski, was directed toward Vote Big presidential candidate Chris Teeny for early campaigning prior to the April 9 start-date, but was later dropped.

The second complaint came from Husky Nation presidential candidate Kyle Fuller. It charges that One Campus raised money for the Husky Pride Fund without the staff’s consent and had advertisements associating the One Campus campaign with the fund on Facebook. Fuller is the chair of the fund, and says she submitted the complaint not as a candidate but as the fund chair.

A third complaint was filed by ASUW Elections Administration Committee Chair Archita Taylor late Monday against independent presidential candidate Sam Martin for failing to submit a final financial-disclosure form. Martin said he would have the disclosure form in yesterday, though the complaint will likely still stand.

Each of the complaints, if upheld, are examples of major violations, though each can be deemed minor at the discretion of the ASUW Judicial Committee, which meets today. The penalty for each violation can result in a fine of $50 or more, at least five hours of community service, banning of ASUW participation for up to a year, or a combination of any of these.

Fuller’s complaint, filed during voting, came after One Campus held a concert with Psi Upsilon to “get out and rock the vote” and to raise money for the Husky Pride Fund. Fuller and the Fund’s Vice Chair Mike Snowden contacted candidates of the ticket and told them they would not file the complaint if they didn’t affiliate the fund with their campaigning.

“We didn’t feel it was appropriate to associate an ASUW entity with a campaign,” Fuller said.

President-elect Madeleine McKenna said One Campus removed the name from everything except the already-printed signs, and collected donations for the fund under the name of “UW scholarships for students in need,” which is what it currently says on the Facebook event page.

The rule cited as being in violation, under the guidance of several ASUW elections advisers, specifies that candidates cannot use “ASUW equipment or supplies for campaign purposes.”

McKenna doesn’t think the complaint should turn into a violation, because she doesn’t see the name of the fund as an ASUW resource. Fuller, on the other hand, believes a new precedent needs to be set to shield the fund and other ASUW entities from campaigning.

“I hated filing the complaint,” Fuller said. “I didn’t want to, and I felt really bad about it. I just wanted to protect the Pride Fund.”

Reach contributing writer William Dow at news@dailyuw.com.