UW librarian wins national cataloging award

Steve Shadle has been working at the University of Washington for 15 years as a serial-access librarian. With the news he received on Thursday, his long career is now even more notable.

On March 4, it was announced that he had received the 2010 Ulrich’s Serials Librarianship Award for his distinguished contribution to the serials and cataloging fields.

“One of my career goals is to be given this award at one point, to be recognized by my peers,” Shadle said.

Shadle acknowledged his own success, yet attributed the award’s importance to its acclaim in the cataloging community. Over the years, cataloging departments have been cut back due to the vast usage and popularization of electronic resources. As the recipient of this award, Shadle hopes that more recognition will be granted to the cataloging community.

“I’m sort of realizing now how prestigious it is,” he said, laughing.

Ultimately, Shadle hopes for conversations toward a potential symbiotic relationship with the publishing community to arise from his accomplishment, with both the cataloging community and publishing community working toward the common goal of improved informational access.

Shadle has spent many years furthering the education of cataloging. He worked on establishing the Serials Cataloging Cooperative Training Program, which provided cataloging education at affordable prices. The training program has created numerous international workshops, and Shadle said that they have provided benefits to the profession.

“I’ve seen significant increases in quality ... over the last 10 to 15 years,” he said.

These workshops occasionally provide Shadle some opportunities to travel, most recently to Greece and India. He is a self-proclaimed travel bug and said he relishes his time abroad.

“Cataloging typically has this stereotype around of people who do not want to interact with the public and just do their job,” Shadle said. “In some respects, I have an opportunity to break away from that.”

In addition to his training work, Shadle participated in the Library of Congress Action Plan for Bibliographic Control of Web Resources. The objectives of this plan are for more controlled, available, concise and accurate Web-based resources. He is also a member of the editorial board of Serials Review and helped implement UW’s own Online Computer Library Center (OCLC) WorldCat Local product.

However, for Shadle, a great source of his inspiration and personal reward comes from his training workshops and seeing people whom he has trained go on to better positions and become trainers themselves.

“It’s very gratifying for me to see someone grow and expand and help their institution develop,” Shadle said. “It’s very rewarding.”

Reach contributing writer Daniel Burnett at development@dailyuw.com.