McNamee, Roth highlight impressive showing at Vandal Collegiate

Although there were no new qualifiers for the NCAA Championships for Washington among the small contingent that participated in the Vandal Collegiate on Friday, the Huskies made an impressive showing.

High jumper Kelly McNamee and three-time All-American pole vaulter Scott Roth both earned wins in the only events featuring Washington athletes. It was the fourth first-place finish for Roth in an what is so far an undefeated season. Roth easily beat the field, but the other men’s vaulters had a rough outing.

McNamee had her best jump of the season, clearing 5-8. McNamee, who qualified for the NCAAs last year, has yet to qualify this season, and likely has two more chances. Freshman Caroline Soules also jumped and posted a 5-2 1/4 to take fourth place overall.

Ryan Vu and Jeremy Lashinske no-heighted, while freshman Bryce Borer fell 5 inches short of his season’s best mark with a vault of 15-2.

On the women’s side, sophomore Kelly Mudlo and senior Ally Wojciechowski both cleared 11-8 to finish fifth and seventh, respectively. Freshman Logan Miller made history last weekend at the Husky Classic when she earned a spot on Washington’s top-10 list with a vault of 12-9, but topped out at 11-2 1/2 on Friday, the same height as teammate Taylor Fjeran.

The best news for the Washington track and field program this weekend came with the announcement that 17 high-school seniors have signed letters of intent with Washington to be part of the track or cross country programs next year. The class, which features eight state champions, two national champions and the 2009 Gatorade National Cross Country Runner of the Year, is regarded as one of the best in school history. The incoming crew is highlighted by Michigan senior Megan Goethals, winner of the Foot Locker National Cross Country Championships and recipient of the Gatorade National Girls Cross Country Runner of the Year award. Goethals is the second Gatorade national athlete of the year to sign with Washington for any sports, along with former Huskies quarterback Brock Huard.

Washington’s track team returns to Dempsey Indoor Feb. 26-27 to compete in the MPSF Championships.

Reach sports reporter Jacob Thorpe at sports@dailyuw.com.