Pac-10 power rankings: Men’s basketball

1. California: And for once, it looks like the No. 1 spot may stay stable for a while, as the Bears have proven themselves­ — sort of — to be the most consistent team in the conference.

2. Arizona: Wildcats, come on down. They have no tournament aspirations, yet they get the No. 2 spot this week because of the beating they put on Arizona State.

3. Arizona State: Hard to figure how the Sun Devils got beaten so badly at home by Arizona. But it’s also hard to figure how they’re even in contention for the Pac-10 title right now.

4. *USC: They should have beat the Cougars, then made the Huskies look like a mid-major team.

5. Stanford: Maybe the Cardinal should be higher after a weekend sweep of the Oregon schools, but I just can’t get that performance in Seattle two weeks ago out of my head.

6. UCLA: The Bruins, through all the talk of this being a down year, sit one game out of first place and in a five-way tie for second.

7. Washington State: A team that you figure shouldn’t be 4-4 in this Pac-10. But here they are, anyway, and their game against Washington Saturday is, all of a sudden, looking very crucial.

8. Washington: Another awful road trip. But would anyone be surprised if they won their next four and launched themselves back into the top half of the conference? They’re all at home.

9. Oregon State: Take your pick of which Oregon school you want at the bottom. Beavers again looked terrible against Stanford and California, but a win over Oregon earlier this season is keeping them out of the cellar.

10. Oregon: Only question now is how long it’s going to take Ernie Kent to clean out his office.

Reach Sports Editor Christian Caple at sports@dailyuw.com.