BFA show opens at Jacob Lawrence Gallery

Senior fibers major Heili Aun shows off her artwork to her husband at the BFA show at the Jacob Lawrence Gallery yesterday evening.

As students in the UW School of Art prepare to graduate, the capstone Bachelor of Fine Arts shows mark a point of transition in their artistic careers.

The second of the three shows opened at the Jacob Lawrence Gallery with a reception on May 12 and will run until May 30. It displays the work of students graduating in painting and drawing, fibers and 3D4M. The 3D4M program encompasses ceramics, sculpture, glass and public art.

“It’s … exciting because you’re completing something that took five or six years, but at the same time, you’re leaving the structure that is college and entering a world where you’re only responsible for yourself, and people are going to be a lot more critical and a lot less forgiving,” said Kristian Anderson, director of the Jacob Lawrence Gallery.

While the work displayed in the show is intended to be the culmination of the artists’ education at the UW, space for the students to exhibit their work is limited each year. Artists were told to expect 6 feet of space in this year’s show, a measurement which some students felt was confining.

“In an ideal world, everyone would get as much space as they want,” Anderson said. “But we’re graduating about 70 students, and we have to find space for all of them. In the professional world, if your submission isn’t within the guidelines it’s not considered, so this is good training for some of the challenges that they will face.”

Other students did not feel that the restrictions detracted from their work.

“Considering that I’m working on so many things, I felt that this was enough space to show the work that is related,” said senior Yasmin Wisecarver. “I would love more space, but considering that this is a group show, I don’t feel deprived or constrained.”

Some graduating students organized shows of their own earlier in the year or have plans to exhibit more of their work in the near future.

“Because I’m having a solo fashion show just the week after graduation, I didn’t feel any limitations,” said senior Heili Aun.

Aun is one of the last three students to graduate in the fibers program, which has been cut for next year.

“I feel like I’m ready to launch my own women’s line,” Aun said. “Maybe someday I will want to go to graduate school, but not right away.”

Some students plan to enter the market like Aun, while others intend to continue their formal education by pursing a graduate degree.

“[Graduate school] gives you a little time to develop your work instead of going straight into the market and trying to sustain a studio,” said senior Jessica Miki Guidry.

With the various mediums in the show, visitors are provided with a wide variety of work that shows the extent of what the UW School of Art has to offer.

“I really like the openness of art and how you can add in your own connotations and ideas,” said senior Daphne Chu. “There’s a certain niceness about all the different materials and seeing them in one space.”

Reach editorial assistant Lexie Krell at arts@dailyuw.com