Bricolage releases new issue

Will Jameson reads his poem “The Surplus Store” at the Bricolage releasing party at the Ethnic Cultural Center Nov. 2.

(from left to right) Alumnus Michael Bowers, Ryan Smith, and Craig Franklin all laugh to senior Eric Uthus' poem "1 LOV3 U TH13 MUCH" at this year's Bricolage release party Nov. 2.

At an eclectic gathering of law students, historians, poets and photographers, the 25th issue of the University of Washington’s literary and arts magazine, Bricolage, was released.

The annual publication has displayed the poetry, prose and visual artwork of UW students, staff and alumni for the past 25 years. The release, held Sunday, Nov. 2, gave writers and artists the chance to display their contributions to the journal. The presentations at the event included dramatic readings and the exhibition of photography.

Although the magazine is produced through the Department of English, contributors to the publication come from a wide variety of disciplines. Diversifying participation in the journal through community-focused activities such as writing workshops and poetry readings, is something that Bricolage strives for.

“I really hope for this to display the same level of creative skill that the past magazines have,” said Bricolage’s managing editor Katie Hoffman about next year’s issue. “We really hope to expand the creative community on campus.”

The contributors who were able to attend the release ranged from beginning poets to alumni writers. Their pieces were chosen for publication through a blind selection process that began roughly a year ago.

“I was a little nervous putting [my work] out there to the literary and arts community, but it was also a very affirming experience because the UW community is so accepting,” said contributing student Brittany Dennison.

As stated on the journal’s Web site, the word ‘bricolage’ signifies the practice of transforming found materials by incorporating them into new work. By melding such diverse talent into one magazine, this year’s edition of the publication certainly lives up to that expectation.

“I just wanted to give it a shot,” said contributing writer and law student John Wheaton. “It’s a great opportunity to be published because the smaller community provides more opportunities than a larger, more competitive journal.”

The magazine hopes to foster discussion among the community by increasing both its readership and the number of submissions it receives for the next volume. By developing this network, members of the journal hope to make the UW a smaller, more accessible campus.

“We are encouraging people to be readers so that we can talk about the work that has been submitted in a group setting,” said Alice Roesch-Knapp, arts editor for the 25th issue.

Despite receiving a steady flow of financial support from the University in the past, Bricolage now is solely funded by the English Department. Since the publication will have to rely heavily on donations, it is hard to say what the future holds for Bricolage.

Despite this setback, the journal is accepting submissions for its 26th issue, to be printed next spring. With the unique assortment of individuals who contributed to this year’s magazine, one can only imagine what next year will bring.

Reach contributing writer Lexie Krell at arts@dailyuw.washington.edu.