The UnderReported: A quick look at world events you haven’t heard about - Nuclear treason?

In a bombshell case, former FBI translator and whistle-blower Sibel Edmonds claims U.S. officials were involved in selling classified nuclear weapons secrets to the highest bidder: Turkey, Israel, Pakistan and non-state terrorist groups.

“I’d say what she has is far more explosive than the Pentagon Papers,” said Daniel Ellsberg, the Pentagon whistle-blower who revealed the government’s early knowledge that the Vietnam War would not be won.

As a translator, Edmonds overheard countless hours of diplomatic com-munication secretly recorded by FBI investigations.

“If you made public all the information that the FBI have on this case, you will see very high-level people going through criminal trials,” Edmonds told London’s Sunday Times.

Edmonds discovered information about members of the U.S. government involved in what she labeled “treason.”

“I can tell you there are a lot of people involved, a lot of ranking officials and a lot of illegal activities that include multi-billion dollar drug smuggling operations, black market nuclear sales to terrorists and unsavory regimes — you name it,” she told journalist Christopher Deliso. “And of course a lot of people from abroad are involved. It’s massive.”

One official Edmonds named as selling secrets to foreign operatives is Mark Grossman, the former U.S. ambassador to Turkey.

“He was aiding foreign operatives against U.S. interests by passing them highly classified information … in exchange for money, position and political objectives,” she said.

Grossman denies the allegations.

Edmonds claims Israeli and Turkish moles were planted in academic institutions across the United States and were involved in several exchanges of nuclear secrets per month.

These nuclear secrets made their way into Pakistan’s nuclear program, and were then sold to Iran, Libya, North Korea and possibly terrorist groups like al-Qaida, which is known to be close to Pakistan’s spy agency, the Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI).

Edmonds’ revelations appear to involve the American Turkish Council, the American Israel Public Affairs Committee and a number of leading neoconservatives like Richard Perle and Douglas Feith.

The FBI Inspector General, former colleagues, retired and active counter-proliferation CIA agents, as well as several sitting U.S. senators and whistle-blower advocacy groups have all confirmed Edmonds’ and her story as “very credible.”

After five years of trying to get justice and accountability through the FBI, Congress and the judiciary, Edmonds has tried to get U.S. mainstream media to cover her story, with little success.

“I’m not the only one who knows about this,” Edmonds said. “Too many people know about this. The fraudulent 9/11 commissioners — every single one of them knows about my case. [People in the Congress, Justice Department and FBI] — they know. The truth is going to hurt them.”

[Reach columnist Aditya Ganapathiraju at news@thedaily.washington.edu.]