BASEBALL: Huskies win record-setting night at Safeco Field

Student Senate reforms: a modest proposal

The ASUW Senate is an indispensable facet of the “Student Voice,” the actions of which are said to represent the collective will of all UW students. The proposed Student Senate reforms mean well, but they still can’t adequately represent such a diverse population of students, all united in apathy.

At the March 2 senate meeting, talk of making Student Senate membership more selective by making sure that prospective senators actually represent tangible constituencies makes sense: The many students who just don’t care about the ASUW, the largest constituency on campus, have gone unrepresented for far too long.

Students concerned and fascinated with UW politics have completely taken control of the ASUW, marginalizing other students who may not know about, don’t care about or are too busy to get involved with student government.

Even though the ASUW allows all students the opportunity to be passionate about participating in the political processes directly affecting students, undergraduates without the desire to work with political issues of consequence are left out in the rain, oblivious to the fact that any of this matters.

Ensuring “a truly representative legislative body” by mandating a consistent Student Senate selection process further deters the apathetic students from associating with the ASUW: with the changes, apathy would no longer be conducive to Student Senate membership.

Those disinterested in student government are left without any say or hand in the policy-making critical to them as it is now. Allowing only those who show enough interest in UW politics to actively pursue involvement through membership to an organization looking out for the best interests of all students is shameful.

Apparently nobody stopped to consult the apathetic students about grave issues such as budget cuts and tuition increases. Students who actively do not care about these issues could make the critical difference in working to correct them, but alas, they have no ASUW representation, as membership and active participation are limited to those who actually understand the dire consequences of such changes.

When seemingly unconcerned citizens have the issues at hand explained in a way that connects with them, they make time to take action and vote.

Students who don’t care about UW politics have been marginalized for too long, and setting more stringent standards for ASUW Student Senate membership is not going to reach this population of indifference.

A clear message must be sent to ASUW that their apathy toward apathetic students is a big deal — it’s just that the disinterested students don’t know it. These students must be granted some say in decision-making if ASUW is to be regarded as truly representative. Since these apathetic students do not have the time or interest to make this proposal, I’ve made it here for them:

Even though many of the students already involved with ASUW are motivated by their concern for the well-being of all students, the audible volume of the “official voice of students” could benefit from the aid of the indifferent students. The proposed Student Senate reforms will ensure they remain silent. It’s time to think about what can be done to give the biggest constituency — that of apathetic students — a voice.

Reach opinion writer Al Jacobs at opinion@dailyuw.com.

RSO rundown

This column keeps tabs on the activities of the UW’s Registered Student Organizations (RSOs). Buy some international sweets in Red Square, volunteer to help homeless teens and young adults, and go to an annual musical talent show, all courtesy of RSOs on campus.

Curious Cravings

Curious Cravings, a student-run food company, is part of ENTRE 472 and 473, a year-long course in the Foster School of Business where students create a company, present their idea to potential investors in the fall, and then run their business during winter and spring quarters. Every Tuesday, Curious Cravings sells their uniquely packaged desserts and snacks in Red Square, and on Feb. 22, they will be selling their packages at discount prices. The company will discount $2 to $4 off the regular price, which is $9 for a medium package and $18 for a large package. Each package is composed of an assortment of snacks and desserts from all over the world.

“We have snacks from Argentina, China, India, Italy and Canada,” said Billy Sheng, the chief management officer of Curious Cravings.

The idea of their product was influenced by the diversity of the UW campus.

“We’re exceeding our projections and actually we’ve made a surplus,” Sheng said.

A detailed description for each of their items can be found on their website, Curiousdesserts.com.

Bridges

UW Bridges, an Interfaith Council, is looking for volunteers who will be committed to regularly volunteering at ROOTS on the Ave.

“We’re looking for people who will be willing to commit to volunteering regularly at least once a month,” said Aaron Lerner, the Bridges president.

Lerner said that Bridges is looking for a diverse group of volunteers to show that people of different faiths can come together to help a common cause.

Volunteering at ROOTS corresponds with Bridges’ campaign to help homeless teens and young adults. Bridges will be recruiting for the next couple of weeks and will get started once there is a group of five to 10 volunteers. Anyone interested can contact Lerner at aaronl6@u.washington.edu.

KSU presents “Overnight”

The Korean Student Union (KSU) will be holding its 10th annual talent show titled “Overnight” on Sunday, Feb. 20, in Kane Hall. There will be 16 acts from around the U-District performing a variety of musical numbers.

“We had auditions a month ago and picked the final 16,” said Ji Hye Lee, KSU’s events coordinator.

Performers will also compete for prizes and will be judged by KSU sponsors, who are from various local Korean businesses.

“We invited the sponsors to judge the performances,” Lee said. “The top-three performances will get prizes.”

“Overnight” will begin at 7 p.m. and admission is free.

Reach reporter Rebecca Lee at news@dailyuw.com.

The Husky baseball team finished off a big weekend for the program with a disappointing 8-2 loss to No. 8 Oregon State Sunday, but it still won the series over the defending national champions, thanks to a 6-2 win at Safeco Field Friday and a comeback victory Saturday.

Batter of the Weekend

Joey Dunn. The hard-hitting catcher from Redmond went 3-for-3 with four RBIs in Saturday's 9-6 win over the Beavers, ensuring a series win for the Huskies.

Pitcher of the weekend

Jason Erickson. The right-handed sophomore allowed just one run and four hits in six innings of work on a pressure-packed Friday night at Safeco Field against the defending national champs.

Play of the weekend

As Oregon State threatened with the bases loaded in the third inning, shortstop Danny Cox made a diving stop to help Erickson get out of the inning.

Stat of the weekend

10,421- The number of fans who attended Friday night's game at Safeco Field; it was the largest Pac-10 attendance ever. The previous record was 9,772 in an Arizona vs. Arizona State game in 1980.

The wins moved Washington into third in the Pac-10 standings.

"It was a good weekend for us as far as [winning the series]," coach Ken Knutson said. "We've just got to keep doing it."

The Huskies (22-21, 8-7 Pac-10) started the three-game series against eighth-ranked OSU (35-11, 7-8 Pac-10) Friday night at Safeco Field in front of 10,421 fans — a new record for attendance for a Pac-10 conference game.

"It was crazy; you couldn't hear anything on the field," junior Matt Hague said. "The first couple of innings I was nervous. ... It was just something you dream of playing in."

On the grass usually graced by the Mariners, the Huskies used every tool they could to keep the Beavers out of the game, eventually winning 6-2.

"It was a big win," Hague said. "We need to keep playing like we did tonight. We played good team baseball tonight."

In what he felt was a must-win game, Knutson used a combination of four different pitchers to ensure victory.

"It was a big game, and we need to win this series," Knutson said. "I will blow the bullpen up [Saturday] to win if I can."

Washington's sophomore starter Jason Erickson (3-1) picked up the win with his six innings of work, allowing one run on four hits.

"Going out there, I wasn't that nervous; I just wanted to get the game going," Erickson said. "I just competed, and my team played great defense behind me."

The biggest hand on defense came from sophomore Danny Cox, who had a diving stop to end the top of the third and got Erickson out of a bases-loaded situation.

"You never know when you win the game, but he saved two runs early," Knutson said. "He had a big night for us."

Cox scored the first run of the game in the bottom of the third when he hit a leadoff double before a single by sophomore Jake Rife drove him in. In the fourth inning, Cox scored again when he hit a triple and junior Michael Burgher drove him home.

Saturday, junior Joey Dunn's three hits and four RBI made a big difference as the UW beat No. 8 OSU 9-6.

After scoring first, OSU extended its lead to 4-1 lead in the top of the fifth. But the Husky bats swung right back in the bottom of the fifth, using six singles and a hit batter to score five runs and take the UW's first lead at 6-4.

A two-run single by Dunn in the sixth extended the lead, and the Huskies trotted on to win with ease.

"He had a big day, and it's why we scored nine," Knutson said. "You get big production out of a spot ... and drive in a bunch of runs. On days you don't score, you leave guys on base, usually."

The Beavers struck first Sunday as they batted through their order to take a 6-0 lead in the fourth. OSU sophomore Jason Ogata's bases-loaded double, which drove in three runs, capped the scoring rally.

In the sixth and seventh innings, OSU added individual runs to reach its final score of eight runs. The Huskies put two runs on the board in the bottom of the sixth, but could never get their bats going to mount a comeback.

Just one game ahead of the Beavers in the Pac-10 rankings, the Huskies will make a run at a playoff spot over the final three weeks of the season. After a two-game mid-week series against Portland, the UW travels to Stanford for a three-game set next weekend.

"This week is going to be critical, and I'll probably say that again next week," Knutson said. "We've got five games ... we need to win a bunch of them to have a chance for postseason."

Reach reporter James Schleicher at sports@thedaily.washington.edu.