Nazi book burning exhibit comes to Odegaard

Live from Hec Edmundson Pavilion: UW volleyball vs. Cal

Senior Kindra Carlson and the UW volleyball team will play Nebraska tonight at Hec Edmundson Pavilion against California for a shot in the Final Four.

Follow tonight's Elite Eight volleyball match from Hec Edmundson Pavilion between the Huskies and Golden Bears with Daily volleyball beat reporter Andrew Gospe at The Daily's Sports Twitter. Tonight's winner moves on to the Final Four.

Live thread

10:02 P.M. HUSKIES LOSE 25-14 -- Cal just too good tonight, and win 3-0. Bears will advance to play in the Final Four against USC in Kansas City, Mo.

The 2010 season comes to a close for the Huskies, who made quite an unexpected run to get here in the first place.

Look for a game story tomorrow from The Daily.

9:57 PM. CAL CRUSING -- Bears have a 17-11 lead and are simply too good tonight.

9:50 P.M. HUSKIES HANGING IN THERE -- UW not backing down, but Cal still ahead 14-9 and the Huskies can't keep trading points.

9:45 P.M. CAL TAKING CONTROL -- Bears are up 5-3 and McLaughlin wants another timeout. Cal is playing really good defense and is matching that with timely kills. UW really needs to go on a run here and get some momentum back before its season is over.

9:30 P.M. CAL TAKES SECOND SET 25-20 -- It's now or never for the Huskies, who will need to win three straight sets to move on to the Final Four. Murrey has 12 kills for Cal, while senior Kindra Carlson leads the UW with 14 kills.

In that second set, Cal hit .394 while the UW hit just .289. That was up from the first set, when the Huskies hit just .150.

9:27 P.M. CAL UP 24-18 -- McLaughlin takes another timeout as the Bears are just one point away from taking the set.

9:23 P.M UW NEEDS TIME -- UW head coach Jim McLaughlin takes a time out with his team down 21-16. The Bears are hitting .565 in the second set and are on the verge of taking a 2-0 lead.

9:15 P.M. BEARS UP 15-12 -- It's a close second set, with UW and Cal going back and forth. Huskies had a 9-7 edge, but the behind 12 kills from Tarah Murrey, the Bears have a 15-12 lead.

9:08 P.M CAL TAKES FIRST SET -- Just started up the thread here after Cal took the first set 25-21. Hec Ed is pretty packed and the energy here is electric. Huskies are up 2-1 in the second set.

Just beyond the security gates of the Odegaard Library lies a large pile of burnt literature, symbolic of the burning of 25,000 "un-German" books by college students in Nazi Germany on May 10, 1933.

The exhibit, titled Fighting the Fires of Hate: America and the Nazi Book Burnings, is sponsored by Odegaard Library and the Washington State Holocaust Education Resource Center. It will be featured at the library until Feb. 28.

The exhibit is comprised of 60 panels and includes photographs, newspaper clippings and movie clips, all of which explore the book burnings, their role in the Holocaust, American responses to the burning and the current state of censorship.

What students will not see is how the remarkable feat of bringing the exhibit to the UW was achieved, said Lynda Ekins, building facilities manager at Odegaard.

"I had to fill out something like a 10-page report on the library in order to get the exhibit, telling them measurements for whatever they needed," said Ekins. "Security measures, space measurements, lighting, temperature control...everything."

After receiving a $3,000 grant from the Washington State Holocaust Education Resource Center and waiting for more than two years, the goods were finally shipped. Kathleen Collins, reference librarian at Odegaard, and Steve Dobell, library technician, were also instrumental in creating the mock bonfire that is one centerpiece of the exhibit.

It appears that students are taking notice, often gathering in a spot close to the exhibit, talking to each other about the burnings and other places where they've seen it happen, said Ekins.

The book burnings of 1933 took place at the town centers of 34 university towns across Germany. In the form of 12 theses, the German Student Association's Main Office for Press and Propaganda demanded to rid the German language and culture of any foreign or Jewish influence.

"It's very often that at the end, people end up asking how the Holocaust could have happened," said Laurie Cohen, co-executive director of the Washington State Holocaust Education Resource Center. "The whole idea of censorship and the book burning gives an idea of the roots of the Holocaust."

Among the 200 targeted authors were several well-known Americans, including Ernest Hemingway, Helen Keller and Upton Sinclair.

News of the book burnings caused uproar in the United States. More than 100,000 people gathered in New York City on May 10, 1933 to condemn the incidents and the treatment of Jews in Germany.

The symbol of book burning has also found its way into American popular culture. The restrictive idea of book burning served as the backbone to Ray Bradbury's 1953 novel, Fahrenheit 451.

It has also been mentioned in episodes of The Waltons (clips can be seen on the second floor of the library), M*A*S*H, Twilight Zone and in the movie Field of Dreams.

The American Library Association reports that cases of mass book destruction still occur frequently. The latest reported case of such an event took place Oct. 10, 2005 in the Houston, Texas, area.

"There are still books that are censored and still groups that don't want books to be read," said Cohen. "Censoring books is not new, it is not old — it is current."

Reach reporter Maks Goldenshteyn at maksgoldenshteyn@thedaily.washington.edu