Women's crew team 7th at NCAAs

[img1]The Husky rowers finished seventh at the NCAA women's rowing championships at Mercer Lake, N.J. yesterday, continuing a longtime pattern of top 10 results.

Washington is one of only three schools to have finished in the top 10 every year since the first NCAA women's competition in 1997.

Cal won the event with 66 points.

The Huskies came in third place in the varsity eight petite final (the equivalent of ninth place overall), the JV eight was the runner up in the petite final and the varsity fours produced the best results for the Huskies as they finished fifth in the grand finale.

"It's huge. Every year it gets harder and harder to make it to this elite 12," coach Eleanor McElvaine said. "We're really happy to be one of the few that is continually here. It's our goal to keep it going."

Princeton won the varsity eight race, finishing six seconds ahead of Cal. Second place was quite a battle, as the Bears beat out Brown by a mere .26 seconds to claim the title for the second time. Both teams finished with 66 points and the tiebreaker was determined by the results of the varsity eight race. This was only the second time in the regatta's 10-year history that the title did not go to the varsity eight winner.

Despite the team's lower final standing, McElvaine said she was pleased and proud of her team's performance.

"Seventh is an improvement over last year's ninth place, so we're really happy about that," McElvaine said. "It's one of those things where slowly as a team you have to turn the corner and get things headed back in the right direction."

Junior rower Ashley Jones said she feels the regatta will serve as a strong learning experience for her and her younger peers, especially for next season.

"We had a really good race," Jones said. "We're all disappointed that we didn't place any higher, but we are so happy with what we've done. We're all young, and we know what we're going to have to do next year during the training season to do what we need to do for racing season next year."