All Golden Bears at California Dual

Despite arriving with high hopes and ambitious goals, the Washington rowing teams fell to California in all but one of the seven races at the 96th annual dual regatta in Belmont, Calif., last Saturday.

The No. 3 California men's varsity eight boat and the women's No. 2 varsity eight both defeated the Huskies' top crews, ranked No. 6 and 14, respectively.

The Huskies snagged first place in the women's second varsity eight with a time of 6:50.18, seven full seconds ahead of Cal's time of 6:57.43.

The Bears were victorious in the remaining events: the men's junior varsity eight, the women's novice eight, the men's freshman eight and the women's varsity four.

Despite disappointing results, women's coach Eleanor McElvaine was pleased with the team's performances.

"The most important thing is not only that our women's JV eight won," McElvaine said, "but that our varsity came very close behind Cal."

The coach was also pleased with the novice boat's close finish.

"We're really excited about where we are and what the future brings for us," McElvaine said.

The Husky rowers will return home May 6 for competition when they host the 20th annual Windermere Cup at the Montlake Cut. The event coincides with opening day for boating season in Seattle.

Reach Daily reporter Katie Stapleton-Paff at [url='mailto:katiesp@thedaily.washington.edu']katiesp@thedaily.washington.edu[/url].