UW comes up empty against No. 15 Texas, No. 23 TCU

The good news for the Washington women's tennis team was that sophomore Allison Rainey returned to the lineup after missing almost two months with a stress fracture in her left foot. The bad news was that Rainey's return did not mark a return to the win column for the UW (2-13 overall, 0-5 Pac-10) last weekend.

Saturday in Austin, Texas, the Huskies fell 7-0 to the No. 15 Longhorns (11-8) in a match that was much closer than the final score would indicate.

With Rainey back, Husky coach Jill Hultquist chose to sideline junior Monika Kolbovic from doubles play. Kolbovic, who has endured back problems in recent weeks, has not been able to play in singles since losing to UCLA on March 11. Against both UT and TCU the UW was forced to default the No. 6 singles match due to the injuries to Kolbovic and Rainey.

Against UT, the Huskies No. 1 doubles team of senior Dinka Hadzic and freshman Tori Brymer didn't play their best match. The UW team, the nation's 38th-ranked, fell 8-3. For the first time since Rainey went out of the lineup, senior Stephanie Svanfeldt and junior Tara Simpson were reunited as a doubles team. P144laying together for the first time at No. 2 instead of No. 3, they lost 8-4.

Rainey teamed up with Melinda Wong at No. 3. The two Seattle-area natives lost 8-5.

Hadzic and Brymer each had a chance to get the UW on the board with wins at No. 1 and No. 3 singles, but UT didn't give Washington anything. The 98th-ranked Hadzic split sets with the 79th-ranked Mia Marovic before falling 10-6 in the third set super tie break.

Brymer lost the first set against Kendra Strohm, but battled back to win the second to force the decisive third. But Strohm dug in and grinded out the win, taking the third 11-9.

The match wasn't close against No. 23 TCU (12-6). In Fort Worth, Texas, the Horned Frogs swept doubles play and only surrendered one set in singles action.

"I thought it was a good match," TCU coach Dave Borelli told www.gofrogs.com. "It is always nice to win the last one for the seniors."

Neither Hultquist nor UW assistant coach Claire Carter could be reached for comment.