Short-handed Huskies fall 5-2 to Oregon

Just when it seemed that Washington (1-3) had endured enough adversity the past three weeks, the Huskies were given another dose of tough news this past Wednesday. X-rays revealed that sophomore Allison Rainey had a stress fracture in her foot, sidelining her for four weeks.

Rainey could only watch from the bleachers as the No. 24 Oregon Ducks (4-0) beat No. 40 UW 5-2 Friday

"When Allison went down I told the team ... we can either feel sorry or fight as hard as we can," said head coach Jill Hultquist.

As a result of Rainey's injury, Hultquist was forced to do some minor shuffling with both her doubles and singles spots.

The No. 1 doubles team remained the same with senior Dinka Hadzic and freshman Tori Brymer losing another close match in a tiebreak, 8-7. Hultquist bumped sophomore Tara Simpson up to No. 2 doubles to play with junior Monika Kolbovic. Melinda Wong made her dual-match doubles debut at No. 3, teaming with senior Stephanie Svanfeldt.

Despite both the No. 2 and the No. 3 teams losing 8-5, Hultquist was satisfied with her new teams.

"Melinda and Stephanie played together in the fall," Hultquist said. "I'm looking forward to seeing these teams play."

With Rainey's singles spot vacated, Kolbovic was forced into singles action for the first time this season. She fell in three sets at No. 6 singles. Wong and Svanfeldt both moved up in the lineup from No. 6 and No. 5, respectively, to No. 5 and No. 4. Both players lost, but Hultquist praised Wong following the match.

"Melinda came here as the No. 7 singles player on the roster and today she played No. 5," Hultquist said. "Her game has grown so much since the fall."

After losing the first set of the No. 1 singles match 1-6, Hadzic came back and pushed No. 26 Dominika Dieskova to a third set, winning the second 6-4. But Dieskova took the third set 6-1 to take the match. Brymer won her third consecutive singles match and her first playing at the No. 2 spot. Simpson played No. 3 and won, going back to the basics in her straight-set victory.

"I asked myself, 'What would Allison do?' at the end of the (second) set and it worked," said Simpson. "Just keep it in."