Men's tennis takes on Toreros, Aztecs in San Diego

The Washington men's tennis team hits the road for the first this season as it heads down to San Diego for a pair of matches this weekend.

The No. 21 Huskies (9-2 overall) take on San Diego Sunday and San Diego State Monday. After 11 straight home matches to start the season, Sunday's match against the Aztecs (3-2) will mark the first of six road games on the schedule this season.

"There are always adjustments that will good for us to learn to adapt to," coach Matt Anger said about hitting the road. "We're going to have to do that during the Pac-10 conference season and obviously for the NCAA championships."

The UW last faced SDSU S in the second round of the 2003 NCAA Tournament. Washington managed to outlast the Aztecs 4-3. The Huskies hold a slight edge in the all-time series, winning 11-of-21 contests between the two teams.

San Diego State has one ranked player on their team in junior Dontia Haynes, who is ranked No. 48 and holds a 3-2 singles record in dual play this year.

When the Huskies play San Diego (1-3) Monday, it will be their fifth match against West Coast Conference opponents this season. The UW holds a 3-1 season record against the WCC.

"We know San Diego fairly well because we played them each of the last two years," Anger said about the Toreros. "Most of their team is returning from last year so we are pretty familiar with them."

Junior Pierrick Ysern will be the highest ranked player in the match between the two teams as he is No. 8 in the nation.

"He is a very strong player, and we have been fortunate against him each of the two years," Anger said. "Alex Vlaski played him both years and won, and they have been very good matches."