Serving super bowls of noodles

The Ave. is littered with generic Thai restaurants, but only a short trip north of the U-District will find you a more unique establishment: the Super Bowl Noodle House, which specializes in soup-based noodle dishes. It's located a block west of Roosevelt Way Northeast on Northeast 65th Street, nestled on the first floor of a remodeled house.

From the outside, the restaurant looks like it might just be part of the house, and on the inside it looks more like a cafe than a proper restaurant. The dining room is nice and cozy, though a bit small for large parties of diners, and it's a good place to bring the family or a date.

You can also pick up a menu and order to go, and during the summer months, patrons can opt to eat out in front of the restaurant. The decor is nothing to write home about though the service is friendly, but the food is really what makes this place extraordinary.

The noodle house has been in business for five years, and its talented chefs combine Thai soup dishes and other Asian influences to create a number of distinctive flavors. Almost all the entrees are noodle soups, with the usual exceptions like phad Thai and fried rice, and every single one has high addiction potential. Most dishes are served with chicken and seafood, but there is also a selection for vegetarians, with tofu or vegetables replacing meat.

First-timers should definitely try one of the soup dishes rather than opting for a familiar plate of phad Thai or phad-see-yu. Most standard entrees run around $7, and nothing goes for more than $8. Appetizers cost around $4 to $5, and overall the meals are not too hard on the pocketbook. There's a list of house specials, including a couple different kinds of curry, fried rice and other fried-noodle entrees. The Super Bowl noodles is an inventive fusion of Japanese sukiyaki sauce and "house spices," with clear noodles, chicken and seafood.

Like to sweat? Then try either the turbo noodles or the M-80 noodles. According to the menu, the M-80 noodles are only for people 18 and over; the menu warns that "a photo ID may be required." If this dish is ordered at five of five stars, it's guaranteed to clear out the sinuses and kill anything living in them.

Aside from its main courses, the noodle house offers a small selection of appetizers, including fried tofu, fried egg rolls, salad or fresh spring rolls in rice paper, which are served with peanut sauce. They also offer deep-fried wontons, which are passable but not spectacular. Customers can order beer, tea or pop to drink, and for dessert the restaurant serves up a couple kinds of sticky rice with taro or mango, ice cream and bread pudding.

The Super Bowl Noodle House can be found online at www.superbowlnoodle.com.

814 N.E. 65th ST.

Seattle, WA 98109

Phone: (206) 526-1570