Men's soccer team comes home empty-handed

The Huskies received an unfriendly welcome to conference play this weekend, falling to No. 15 Cal 2-1 in overtime Sunday and losing to top-ranked Stanford Friday night in a 2-0 shutout.

The defeats leave the Huskies with a disappointing 3-5-3 record and winless against Pac-10 rivals.

"This weekend was pretty demoralizing for the team -- we have only eight games left, and if we want to even have the possibility of getting into the postseason, we're going to have to win at least six or seven," said UW midfielder CJ Klaas. "We're really going to have to pick it up if we want to make it to the postseason."

The Golden Bears (9-2-1) tied a school record with their eighth-consecutive victory, which was captured less than six minutes into overtime with a goal from midfielder Mike Munoz. The goal is Munoz's second game-winning shot of the season and his team-leading seventh score of the year.

The Huskies were quiet during a scoreless first half, lagging 8-2 on shots taken. They then surrendered an unassisted goal to Cal midfielder Nick Hatze in the 74th minute from 20 yards out.

The UW responded three minutes later with a header from defender Kevin Murray off a Klaas free kick to even the score.

Husky goalkeeper Danny Waltman, who posted 10 saves, deflected a Pieter Berger header in the 86th minute to deny the Bears a game-winner in regulation and send the contest into overtime.

Cal outshot the Huskies 17-10 and contributed the only scoring attempt in overtime.

Stanford (10-1-0) got on the board early Friday, recording both of its goals in the first 18 minutes of the match.

Cardinal Matt Janusz netted his fourth goal of the season at 14:55 in the first half, kicking the ball into the right corner of the Washington net after it bounced off of the chest of UW goalkeeper Chris Eylander during a scoring attempt by Stanford's Mike Wilson.

A second Cardinal goal came less than four minutes later on a Taylor Graham header off a James Twellman corner kick.

Stanford held a 12-8 edge on shots, while UW senior Dayo Oyetuga led Husky scoring efforts with three shots.

Though Washington has tallied five losses to top-25 teams this season, Klaas noted that the young Huskies are still nipping at the heels of their talented rivals.

"We understand that we are losing not because of a lack of effort," he said. "This is a growing year, and we held our own this weekend -- we were pounding on Stanford during the second half. The teams we played are top competitors, and we were right there with them."