Beavers earn first win ever against Huskies

The University of Washington Student Newspaper PUBDATE

Sports

Beavers earn first win ever against Huskies SOFTBALL | Washington settles for fifth straight split on the road in Corvallis Patrick Solari Daily Staff

When looking back at the road trip to the Oregon schools, the Husky softball team will remember it as a missed opportunity.For the second straight day, the No. 6 Huskies (16-9 Pac-10, 45-15 overall) lost the first game of a doubleheader and came back to win the second. This time it was against a weaker Oregon State team, which outlasted the Huskies to win the first game in 11 innings, 2-1. It was the first time the Huskies have ever lost to OSU (6-15, 29-28-1) in the five-year history of the program.The UW salvaged its fifth consecutive conference split by turning the tables on the Beavers for a 2-1 victory.The first game in Corvallis was full of missed chances for the Huskies. They took an early lead in the second inning when center fielder Leanne Rosser singled, stole second and then scored when a pickoff attempt by catcher Heather Valenty flew into center field.After that, it was the Tarrah Beyster show for Oregon State. The Beaver pitcher hit her 11th home run of the season to tie the game in the third inning. On the mound, she spread seven hits over 11 innings while striking out four Huskies and walking five to improve her record to 15-13 on the year.Washington's offense went sour. Eve Gaw hit a triple and Jamie Graves had two hits, but the UW never put anything together. The Huskies had several chances to pull ahead, but their rallies fell short as they stranded 11 runners, leaving the bases loaded in sixth and tenth innings and two on in the eighth and 11th. Graves (18-5) pitched the entire game for the Huskies and held her own through the first 10 innings. In the 11th, Shelley Beringhele singled to score Jodi Chmielewski and win the game.In the second game, Jen Spediacci pitched five strong innings and allowed only four hits to hold the Beavers in check.The bats finally came around for the Huskies in the fourth inning when Eve Gaw singled to score Becky Newbry. They struck again when Erin Helgeland singled, scoring Rosser and giving the Huskies a 2-0 lead.Oregon State came back in the sixth to score Beringhele on a Kim Herman base hit. But Graves held off the Beavers to pick up the save and give the Huskies the split.Helgeland, Shelley Brown and Sara Pickering had two hits each in the game.

Copyright © 1997 The Daily of the University of Washington