Huntsman to be new provost

The University of Washington Student Newspaper Monday, March 31, 1997

News

Huntsman to be new provost Kenneth Bogle Daily Staff

Lee L. Huntsman was appointed the UW's permanent provost during the March 21 Board of Regents meeting. As provost, Huntsman will serve as the UW's chief academic and budget officer, guiding the development of curricula and managing its research mission.The UW has been without a permanent provost since Wayne Clough quit in 1994. Huntsman's appointment follows a lengthy national search for Clough's replacement, during which time two interim provosts were appointed.Huntsman was the second of these acting provosts, having served in the position since last August. Huntsman beat out three other finalists for the permanent provost position.Though the entire Board of Regents unanimously approved Huntsman's appointment, the vote was a "rubber-stamp" formality, according to ASUW Vice President Jasper MacSlarrow. UW President Richard McCormick delivered his recommendation for the position to a 5-member committee of the regents, which evaluated and endorsed Huntsman."I'm thrilled, and excited and deeply, deeply honored," Huntsman said in a short speech to the regents.McCormick said, "In our brief time together in Gerberding Hall, Lee has provided outstanding academic and budgetary leadership for the university. He has been a sensationally good partner."Huntsman holds a BS in electrical engineering and a Ph.D in biomedical engineering. Since 1968, Huntsman has taught at the UW as a professor of bioengineering. He has also served as the director of the UW Center for Bioengineering since 1980 and the associate dean for Scientific Affairs since 1993.As provost, Huntsman will earn $175,000 a year.

Copyright © 1997 The Daily of the University of Washington